Donating Blood - A great idea, but a few things to keep in mind.

resilient1

Trusted Member
It's common knowledge that exogenous testosterone/AAS have a tendency to increase red blood cell count, hemoglobin and hematocrit. Test is well known to increase the risk of polycythemia. It's a consequence of TRT which I deal with.
The greater number of red blood cells also tends to affect serum ferritin (iron homeostasis), which can affect oxygen transport in the blood, but can also contribute to numerous health issues, i.e. too much iron in the blood (hemocromatosis). This is one that anyone on test should be mindful of. Always make sure to get your ferritin tested when you give blood. These effects are all possible outcomes of the body's attempt to maintain homeostasis.

An excellent way to ameliorate these potential issues is for regular blood donations.

With respect to donating blood there are a few things you should keep in mind. First, visit the Canadian Blood Services website to view the listed medications that do not affect or require a wait. There is another list which states the amount of time since last administration of that particular medication.

Anyone who views this list will notice that there are many medications that are not listed. Because they are not listed that does not mean they are NOT relevant. This is important. If you are taking something and need to know the wait time contact the Canadian Blood Services anonymously. They will provide that information. Why is this so important? Let's say you are taking an AI, or a SERM, and your blood donation is given to a pregnant woman or newborn. The existence of those compounds can have seriously harmful effects to a pregnant woman, the developing fetus, or newborn.

Imo, donating blood should be a regular part of anyone's protocol. It helps maintain homeostasis, is beneficial to health, and is a net social benefit. Being on testosterone is not an issue whatsoever. So, that's one you don't have to declare. If you say you are using non-prescribed AAS you will not be able to donate. But, that's where the line is drawn. Other compounds, as mentioned, can be harmful, and everyone should be mindful of that fact. I would encourage you to simplify your protocol, to ensure your donation is as clean as possible.

There is one additional consideration. Let's say you donate and for whatever reason you decide your blood should not be used. You have the right to contact CBS and request that it be destroyed.

I recently gave blood, hence the motivation for the post, and had contacted CBS prior to donating to make sure my medication administration did not conflict with my donation. That is how I learned about the potential detrimental effects of an AI or a SERM, and I thought it useful info to pass along.

I would like to add that CBS does not maintain a database/profile of a donor's medications, so it's something you must declare/be mindful of every visit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the notes. I do it twice a year. This year I’m thinking 3 but not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the notes. I do it twice a year. This year I’m thinking 3 but not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do it every 4 months. My hemoglobin was 180 and hematocrit was 50, which is high for me, I waited too long this time. The last time my HCT was 51 I needed an emergency phlebotomy. I am certain that was the worst I have felt since starting trt. Everything was difficult, no energy, no drive, the slightest physical effort and I was sweating, and terrible headaches. I couldn't donate that time b/c my doctor needed to update my info with CBS, but I felt 100% right as rain the moment the procedure was complete.

I never mentioned, but for those who can't donate b/c they are on growth, a peptide, or something else you can always get a requisition for a phlebotomy.

They actually test the blood for things like accutane, finastride, duta, HIV, etc.

They ask for notice of every compound you are taking b/c they don't test the blood for every possible drug or medication. And, what happens in the event that a test results in a false negative? Their pre-screening donor questionnaire covers that which you mentioned. I had a thorough discussion with two CBS nurses on this very topic, which is why I made the post. One should not donate if they are knowingly omitting critical information. It's negligent, irresponsible, and a potential harm to others.

I know they test for infectious diseases, "Every donation given to Canadian Blood Services is tested for infectious diseases caused by the hepatitis viruses B and C, HIV, syphilis and another uncommon virus called HTLV (Human T-Lymphotropic Virus)." I am not aware, nor have found any info that they actually test blood for the existence of finastride, accutane, or dutasteride. It would make sense that they would, but why would anyone not voluntarily and honestly disclose that info? Those and other compounds are listed in the donation screening questionnaire each donor is required to answer. The use of an aromatase inhibitor or a SERM is not.

I wrote the post to give people some heads up on what info is not available in order to avoid showing up to donate and not being able to pass the screening. It's then a wasted opportunity to possibly do some good. Not only that, but it might deter someone from donating in the future. I'm only trying to make the process easy and trouble free.

Here is a copy of the donation questionnaire,
https://www.blood.ca/en/blood/donating-blood/donor-questionnaire

The alternative: get a req for a phlebotomy. I do my due diligence so that my blood product might help another. My blood is iron and hemoglobin rich, (common among those on trt) which is ideal for someone requiring blood product. I only wish my blood type was O-.

Here is a medication deferral list, but between these and the questionnaire there are still meds not mentioned,

This is the list of medications which don't conflict with donating,

Many of us here are excellent candidates to donate, and could benefit from donating, so it's a win win.

Last edited:
They ask for notice of every compound you are taking b/c they don't test the blood for every possible drug or medication. And, what happens in the event that a test results in a false negative? Their pre-screening donor questionnaire covers that which you mentioned. I had a thorough discussion with two CBS nurses on this very topic, which is why I made the post. One should not donate if they are knowingly omitting critical information. It's negligent, irresponsible, and a potential harm to others.

I know they test for infectious diseases, "Every donation given to Canadian Blood Services is tested for infectious diseases caused by the hepatitis viruses B and C, HIV, syphilis and another uncommon virus called HTLV (Human T-Lymphotropic Virus)." I am not aware, nor have found any info that they actually test blood for the existence of finastride, accutane, or dutasteride. It would make sense that they would, but why would anyone not voluntarily and honestly disclose that info? Those and other compounds are listed in the donation screening questionnaire each donor is required to answer. The use of an aromatase inhibitor or a SERM is not.

I wrote the post to give people some heads up on what info is not available in order to avoid showing up to donate and not being able to pass the screening. It's then a wasted opportunity to possibly do some good. Not only that, but it might deter someone from donating in the future. I'm only trying to make the process easy and trouble free.

Here is a copy of the donation questionnaire,
https://www.blood.ca/en/blood/donating-blood/donor-questionnaire

The alternative: get a req for a phlebotomy. I do my due diligence so that my blood product might help another. My blood is iron and hemoglobin rich, (common among those on trt) which is ideal for someone requiring blood product. I only wish my blood type was O-.

Here is a medication deferral list, but between these and the questionnaire there are still meds not mentioned,

This is the list of medications which don't conflict with donating,

Many of us here are excellent candidates to donate, and could benefit from donating, so it's a win win.

do you tell them you're on trt?

I donated and told them I was on TRT precription.. The lady said they loved blood from TRT people because its high in what a donor would need.

When I donated in the winter it was my first time. Super easy and comfortable.. the nurses were amazing... Best vein poker I have ever had.

When you need to get frequent blood work you easily figure out what a good nurse is and what a rookie is. Good nurse, one quick tiny poke and the blood just gushes.. If it doesn't the good nurse slightly adjusts the needle, without taking it out and stabbing again, and the blood fires right out lol..

The only issue I had was I got a letter in the mail shortly after from the blood donation place saying I tested positive for HIV... They test all blood for deseases and the HIV test they use is quick and cheap, but can ogive false positives.. So the letter went on to say they tested my blood using better, more detailed and accurate HIV test and it came back negative several times.. Even with the HIV being confirmed as a false positive, I wasn't ;allowed to donate for like 6 months.. And to donate again I have to contact the blood donation place and go through a small process. The letter also said I had to give the false positive HIV letter to my doctor?????? So I did and the doctor was like "wtf do I need this for.. you don't have HIV"...

Definitely. I get the same response as animal-inside. They are blood-taking vampires, eager for that iron and hemoglobin rich blood. I swear the nurse nearly drooled when she saw the results of the finger-prick hemoglobin test. 180! that's pretty high, good thing you're donating.

The minimum time between donations is 56 days, but I require the full four months because even though I over-produce red blood cells I have had some issues with iron deficiency in the past. It's a catch 22, if I don't donate my blood thickens, but for some unknown reason my iron not only won't replenish, but it will keep dropping, in which case I require an intravenous iron infusion. The official term is unexplained anemia, which I believe is scientific for no fucking clue. Apparently, it's not uncommon. That's also one reason my gp provides me with monthly bloods. I take a heme iron supplement after donating. I believe it is recommended in the CBS document they have you read over prior to donating.
Been to a hematologist, wasn't any help. As a bonus I'm encouraged to eat red meat, so there's that. ;-)

Wrt Trt, there is no reason you need to tell them, they are not concerned in the least about testosterone. I told them, well, my doctor informed them b/c there was initial confusion around the polycythemia diagnosis. There is another form of polycythemia, which is a type of blood cancer.

As mentioned, they don't confirm medication, there is no database/profile record, that's why individuals should be aware of the time limitations for donating, so they can do so safely.

Last edited:
Definitely. I get the same response as animal-inside. They are blood-taking vampires, eager for that iron and hemoglobin rich blood. I swear the nurse nearly drooled when she saw the results of the finger-prick hemoglobin test. 180! that's pretty high, good thing you're donating.

The minimum time between donations is 56 days, but I require the full four months because even though I over-produce red blood cells I have had some issues with iron deficiency in the past. It's a catch 22, if I don't donate my blood thickens, but for some unknown reason my iron not only won't replenish, but it will keep dropping, in which case I require an intravenous iron infusion. The official term is unexplained anemia, which I believe is scientific for no fucking clue. Apparently, it's not uncommon. That's also one reason my gp provides me with monthly bloods. I take a heme iron supplement after donating. I believe it is recommended in the CBS document they have you read over prior to donating.
Been to a hematologist, wasn't any help. As a bonus I'm encouraged to eat red meat, so there's that. ;-)

Wrt Trt, there is no reason you need to tell them, they are not concerned in the least about testosterone. I told them, well, my doctor informed them b/c there was initial confusion around the polycythemia diagnosis. There is another form of polycythemia, which is a type of blood cancer.

As mentioned, they don't confirm medication, there is no database/profile record, that's why individuals should be aware of the time limitations for donating, so they can do so safely.

So when you guys get to the question "do you take illegal steroids with needles" you answer yes?

So when you guys get to the question "do you take illegal steroids with needles" you answer yes?

Hard no.
If you answer yes you will not be allowed to donate for a period of time. Once you register to donate, you are provided with the screening questions. You can answer them from your own device, or at the facility. If possible, have bloods prior to donating, that way you know what's what.

If you are on test, well, test is test. If you are unsure about something else check out the half life of what you are taking. I know for a certainty that testosterone levels are irrelevant.

I would have no issue donating if I was taking test from a reliable source. I'm sure no one here shares needles, but you can see where they are coming from. An illegal product does not guarantee purity of contents, but I would assess my own lifestyle choices in how to reply to that question. Do you self-administer test/steroids, but lead an otherwise healthy lifestyle? If you view the list there are other indicators of potentially compromising lifestyle choices, and if you were to answer yes to some of the others I would advise you not to donate. I don't know if that helps.

The short answer, I wouldn't have any issue not disclosing the use of illegal steroids. But, the use of other compounds, AI's, SERMs, GH, those are what I was trying to raise awareness of prior to deciding to donate.

You've never had a SERM, AI, Oral, or other injectable in your system at the time of donation?
I am using exemestane (aromasin) and also currently taking raloxifene. When I contacted them a couple days before they informed me that there had to be a minimum of 24 hours since my last dose. My AI use is very infrequent right now, but I am taking ralox daily, so I skipped my morning dose and took it once I returned. That gave me about 30 hours. The only other oral I might possibly take would be proviron, but that's also rare.

Based on a quick search the only reason individuals are restricted from donating blood if they confirm illegal steroid use is due to potential risks associated with non-prescribed needle use. It's all about undetectable levels of HIV.

I am using exemestane (aromasin) and also currently taking raloxifene. When I contacted them a couple days before they informed me that there had to be a minimum of 24 hours since my last dose. My AI use is very infrequent right now, but I am taking ralox daily, so I skipped my morning dose and took it once I returned. That gave me about 30 hours. The only other oral I might possibly take would be proviron, but that's also rare.

Based on a quick search the only reason individuals are restricted from donating blood if they confirm illegal steroid use is due to potential risks associated with non-prescribed needle use. It's all about undetectable levels of HIV.

I'll never tell them that I use any compounds such as test, primo, AI, etc. I don't share needles. But this is me personally. As for accutane, finastride etc, they tell you a certain amount of time they want you off them first. They tested for anything infectious or that which could could birth defects. Lastly, anyone can lie on the questionnaire as long as they are honest enough to contact CBS and tell them to discard their donation afterwards.

I'll never tell them that I use any compounds such as test, primo, AI, etc. I don't share needles. But this is me personally. As for accutane, finastride etc, they tell you a certain amount of time they want you off them first. They tested for anything infectious or that which could could birth defects. Lastly, anyone can lie on the questionnaire as long as they are honest enough to contact CBS and tell them to discard their donation afterwards.

Is it true that the CBS can ban you from donating based on past blood tests or by the donor asking them to discard their blood numerous times?

I heard in the past you could donate over and over and over and just ask to have it thrown out, but now they no longer do this and will refuse to draw your blood,

Is it true that the CBS can ban you from donating based on past blood tests or by the donor asking them to discard their blood numerous times?

I heard in the past you could donate over and over and over and just ask to have it thrown out, but now they no longer do this and will refuse to draw your blood,
I heard that as well, and it makes sense as they wouldn't have the resources to waste. In that case get a requisition for a phlebotomy.

I heard that as well, and it makes sense as they wouldn't have the resources to waste. In that case get a requisition for a phlebotomy.

If you get the proper requisition, can you get the procedure done at the local blood work lab? My issue is its a 5 hour round trip to the nearest place to donate blood. I just can't make that trip enough... My doctor told me to donate, so he supports it.. If he write the requisition, can I get it done locally?

You might want to check the CBS website for your area. They do blood donation drives to smaller towns. As far as your local lab, some locations do phlebotomies.

I do it every 4 months. My hemoglobin was 180 and hematocrit was 50, which is high for me, I waited too long this time. The last time my HCT was 51 I needed an emergency phlebotomy. I am certain that was the worst I have felt since starting trt. Everything was difficult, no energy, no drive, the slightest physical effort and I was sweating, and terrible headaches. I couldn't donate that time b/c my doctor needed to update my info with CBS, but I felt 100% right as rain the moment the procedure was complete.

I never mentioned, but for those who can't donate b/c they are on growth, a peptide, or something else you can always get a requisition for a phlebotomy.
Realistically your still good .Typically its 54% I dont care what labs say 50% not.