Depression and Steroid use

Coloneljbone84

Trusted Member
I have a buddy who told me he wants to try gear. He's extremely new to it and nervous. Wants to dip his toe in and see if he likes it. Wants to add a little size, or atleast feel alittle beastly. He has lifted for years now, pretty good shape. 35yr

I know what I like, what I would might use, what I have learned over the years. But he has struggled with depression, and is on medication for it. He got help, and meds helped. Pretty stable guy.

Frankly I'm not qualified to suggest anything .....so I didn't.

Anyone have experience with this? What would you tell him or suggest?
Serious risks to look at...
What to stay away from...
Possible things that might help etc..
Any insight on it.

That's a deep one, there can be issues with a chemical issue in the brain and some gear, as mentioned. There are several that can create issues. One would have to ask a lot of questions about it from those with first hand experience on the subject. I do not have that, but will say these are powerful things on the mind, that we sometimes do not realize while we are in it per se.

Truth.

I would tell him to start with a Test cycle first. As mentioned above lower T can cause depression. I wouldn't say I was depressed before going on T, but I definitely had more mood swings than I do now. It has made me more chill and patient, for sure.

Here’s some more info of proviron being used as an anti-depressant

It could be low T causing the depression... in which case TRT would be the fix.

It could also be natural volatility in mood (unrelated to T), in which case he definitely should stay away from AAS unless he plans on staying on for life. Cyclically coming off gear could be detrimental to someone who is already struggling with mental issues.

Great advice above,

He should def. get blood work,

If he runs a cycle, run test only AND GET BLOOD WORK nothing like getting your test up and have your estro go thru the roof cause he's not running an AI, I have done dozens of bloods and learned a lot about myself

The number one thing I can suggest is to LOG everything, Everyone is different, you are your own guinea pig and everyones mileage varies FOR ME I only run Test Tren T-bol (very small doses is all I need) cycles, and things like Primo and Anavar f**k me up WTF.........

I say go for bloods
It may be part of his issue.

what scares me is not so much when he is on but how he will cope coming off.
Lots of good suggestions and for what it is worth - blood work like many suggested, test only cycle and I 100% agree with @3ml, how will PCT and potential hormone fluctuations impact his mental health after.
You can tell him to look up the contradictions with his medication but I doubt it will list testosterone as test is rarely listed even as a medication.

It could be low T causing the depression... in which case TRT would be the fix.

It could also be natural volatility in mood (unrelated to T), in which case he definitely should stay away from AAS unless he plans on staying on for life. Cyclically coming off gear could be detrimental to someone who is already struggling with mental issues.
Yeah I wonder about this as well. I get a little bummed out for abit when I come off. No more superman lol But it might really effect him 😕