Dead Lifts Risk VS Reward

dane.dawg

Trusted Member
Im 47and deadlift once a week for three years 5 working set @ 350 for 10 and have pulled my back 6 times in that time and it usally takes a week to recover, most recently on Tuesday.
I am contemplating stopping deadlifts because of this and was wondering how many of you ever ger injured doing deadlifts and is it worth the risk vs reward??

Im 47and deadlift once a week for three years 5 working set @ 350 for 10 and have pulled my back 6 times in that time and it usally takes a week to recover, most recently on Tuesday.
I am contemplating stopping deadlifts because of this and was wondering how many of you ever ger injured doing deadlifts and is it worth the risk vs reward??
I dont do reg deadlifts at all anymore. Sumo, trap bar or rack pulls is all I do. Less chance of injuries for me.

I’m definitely not a fan of the straight bar at all I get hurt a lot with those they’re terrible.........have you ever tried the hex bar

You could cut that volume. 5 sets of 10 for dead lifts is a lot of volume for anyone. I'd maybe do 5 sets of 5. 4x8, or a 3x10.

I'd also be curious how your form looks, that many injuries in such a short time span could quite possibly be form related. Is there a jerk when you pull the bar from the floor with a slam followed by another quick jerk. Or do you pull the slack out of the bar persay and load the weight onto your lats. Resetting after every rep

I absolutely love deads.

Last edited:
I am looking into buying a hex bar but Jestopherson might of hit the nail on the head and slow the Fuck down..
Ya I have great form and I hurt my back straight bar it depends what your doing as well if your a power lifter trying to compete with the straight bar than ya if your not I don’t see the point hex bar is much better

I stopped at the advice of a surgeon who said I would need a neck/back surgery if I continued. I still do a pseudo deadlift/squat. I hold the heaviest dumbbells I have and use Rogue bands to add resistance (working out at home). Not really a squat and not really a deadlift but it hits my legs and back. I can go parallel but no longer go any deeper.
I agree with @The Old Guy - one of the best pure power developers but as I age I look at risk vs. reward. I know what a back injury feels like when your muscles spasms all the way around your ribs and you can not get comfortable unless you take strong pain meds that make you a drooling fool. I prefer chins, rows, 1 arm rows, even upright rows and shrugs to hit the traps.

If I could do it once a week I would but I gave it up (sort of). Just modified how I do it with the help of my physiotherapist.

Ya I have great form and I hurt my back straight bar it depends what your doing as well if your a power lifter trying to compete with the straight bar than ya if your not I don’t see the point hex bar is much better
Because an Ohio bar and bar whip is just so fucking sexy. I love watching the bar bend on every rep.

What were you doing to hurt your back out of curiosity?

Reactions: PGM
You could cut that volume. 5 sets of 10 for dead lifts is a lot of volume for anyone. I'd maybe do 5 sets of 5. 4x8, or a 3x10.
I'd also be curious how your form looks, that many injuries in such a short time span could quite possibly be form related. Is there a jerk when you pull the bar from the floor with a slam followed by another quick jerk. Or do you pull the slack out of the bar persay and load the weight onto your lats. Resetting after every rep

I absolutely love deads.
a
Because an Ohio bar and bar whip is just so fucking sexy. I love watching the bar bend on every rep.

What were you doing to hurt your back out of curiosity?
Just sometimes coming up with the straight bar I strain my lower back

Last edited:
How
Old are you? If it’s ok to ask

If it's about age playing into risk for injury I agree. I just also believe most people who frequently injury themselves on exercises do so due to poor form, over exertion or other training related factors.

Obviously that's not the case when other preexisting injuries are factored in such as @Goldenrod case.

Ya 5 more years of them might change your mind. That’s all I used to do for like a decade but maybe your body portions they don’t bother you I don’t know
I have 2 serious car accidents resulting in neck and upper back injuries with chronic pain for the last 4 years. So I know a thing about dealing with back pain.

Let's not make it about age. If someone frequently hurts themselves I refuse to believe it's because of their age and not poor lifting habits. Feel free to argue that if you'd like.

I have 2 serious car accidents resulting in neck and upper back injuries with chronic pain for the last 4 years. So I know a thing about dealing with back pain.

Let's not make it about age. If someone frequently hurts themselves I refuse to believe it's because of their age and not poor lifting habits. Feel free to argue that if you'd like.
Sometimes is more about body proportions. I find it very hard to do regular deadlifts from the ground properly. But off a low pin I can do them all day with more weight. You gotta find what works for you. If your competing in PLing you have to go from the ground, other then that I dont see the point for BBing purposes

I

Im not trying to argue anything but it’s fact that everyone is built differently it’s not always about form some exercises aren’t right for certain ppl where other Ppl the same stuff wouldn’t bother them

Sometimes is more about body proportions. I find it very hard to do regular deadlifts from the ground properly. But off a low pin I can do them all day with more weight. You gotta find what works for you. If your competing in PLing you have to go from the ground, other then that I dont see the point for BBing purposes
Yup a agree with this fully