Cytomel and breastfeeding

OmegaBravo7

Trusted Member
Our baby boy is breastfed frequently. Is it safe for the wife to take cytomel? A few sites say it’s safe because too little of the cytomel passes through the breastmilk however they don’t say what doses were being taken for them to come to that conclusion. Fucking hate vague incomplete medical papers.

Our baby boy is breastfed frequently. Is it safe for the wife to take cytomel? A few sites say it’s safe because too little of the cytomel passes through the breastmilk however they don’t say what doses were being taken for them to come to that conclusion. Fucking hate vague incomplete medical papers.
So you're going to trust a bunch of randoms on an internet forum instead? 🤔 lol.

No, per @Funnyman - almost everything your wife takes will be passed your child. If it’s needed for a legitimate health reason - your doctor will advise if there is any danger. If it isn’t for a health issue, don’t take it.

baby’s health is much more important then looking shredded right now..save the cytomel, the pros arnt worth the risk.

Obviously some women are on prescribed T3 but if your wife isn't on prescribed T3 then I'm not sure why would you even risk harming a defenseless child just to take an unprescribed hormone that will be passed onto said child.....
A replacement dose is said to be safe but.....is your T3 pharma? Is it prescribed? I would assume it isn't because you wouldn't be asking if it was, her doctor would have already told her that it is safe or it isn't.

Last edited:
Hard NO on anything like this while breastfeeding unless scripted for a legit thyroid deficiency ... in which case it would likely be synthroid not cytomel. The health of the child comes first.

Read this first to gain an understanding of how the FDA categorizes meds in pregnancy. https://www.drugs.com/pregnancy-categories.html
After you have digested the above information read this and err on the side of caution by contacting your Doc or Pharmacist. Don't decide by what you read on the Internet.
liothyronine (Rx)
Brand and Other Names: Cytomel, Triostat, Liothyronine T3, Thyroid Hormone.
Pregnancy & Lactation
Pregnancy category: A

Lactation: Excreted into breast milk; use caution
Pregnancy Categories

A: Generally acceptable. Controlled studies in pregnant women show no evidence of fetal risk.
B: May be acceptable. Either animal studies show no risk but human studies not available or animal studies showed minor risks and human studies done and showed no risk.

C: Use with caution if benefits outweigh risks. Animal studies show risk and human studies not available or neither animal nor human studies done.

D: Use in LIFE-THREATENING emergencies when no safer drug available. Positive evidence of human fetal risk.

X: Do not use in pregnancy. Risks involved outweigh potential benefits. Safer alternatives exist.

NA: Information not available.

Keeping in mind @Bagua this is referring to a therapeutic dose, not a typical fat burning dose as he is considering giving his wife. Regardless...I would err in the side of caution with this one...it’s one thing for a thyroid deficiency, it’s another to take unscripted or ugl thyroid medication for fat loss while breastfeeding

Agreed @King56 that is why I threw in my caveat to contact a pharmacist. You can generally tell a pharmacist the actual dose you are taking and they will give you an unbiased answer.

This is a little diddy on T3 and breastmilk, once again with a caveat at the bottom.

Liothyronine
CASRN: 6893-02-3
6893-02-3.png

FULL RECORD DISPLAY
Displays all fields in the record.
For other data, click on the Table of Contents

Drug Levels and Effects:
Summary of Use during Lactation:
Liothyronine (T3) is a normal component of human milk. If replacement doses of liothyronine are required by the mother, it is not necessarily a reason to discontinue breastfeeding. However, because no information is available on the use of exogenous liothyronine during breastfeeding, an alternate drug may be preferred. The American Thyroid Association recommends that subclinical and overt hypothyroidism should be treated with levothyroxine in lactating women seeking to breastfeed.[1] Liothyronine dosage requirement may be increased in the postpartum period compared to prepregnancy requirements patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis.[2]
Drug Levels:
Milk levels of liothyronine have not been measured after exogenous administration of T3 in humans. Liothyronine is a normal component of human milk. Although somewhat controversial, liothyronine, unlike levothyroxine (T4), might pass into milk in amounts that affect infant thyroid status.[3][4][5][6][7] Average liothyronine levels range from 01 to 4 mcg/L.[8]

Maternal Levels. In a study of 56 mothers with thyroid disorders, 50 had hypothyroidism and were being treated with levothyroxine; 5 mothers had controlled hyperthyroidism with no medications and 1 had hyperthyroidism treated with a medication. Milk levels of thyroid hormones were free T4 4.5 ng/L, total T4 29.6 mcg/L, free T3 2.3 ng/L and total T3 0.35 mcg/L. The average milk to serum level ratios over the period were free T4 0.32, total T4 0.3, free T3 0.78 and total T3 0.26. Levels of free and total T3 and total T4 in milk were positively correlated with their respective plasma levels.[9]

Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants:
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date. However, the thyroid hormone content of human milk from the mothers of very preterm infants appears not to be sufficient to affect the infants thyroid status.[10]
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk:
Adequate thyroid hormone serum levels are required for normal lactation. Replacing deficient thyroid levels should improve milk production caused by hypothyroidism. Supraphysiologic doses of liothyronine would not be expected to further improve lactation.
Alternate Drugs to Consider:
Levothyroxine
References:
1. Alexander EK, Pearce EN, Brent GA et al. 2016 Guidelines of the American Thyroid Association for the Diagnosis and Management of Thyroid Disease during Pregnancy and the Postpartum. Thyroid. 2017;27:315-89. PMID: 28056690
2. Galofre JC, Haber RS, Mitchell AA et al. Increased postpartum thyroxine replacement in Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Thyroid. 2010;20:901-8. PMID: 20615129
3. Sato T, Suzuki Y. Presence of triiodothyronine, no detectable thyroxine and reverse triiodothyronine in human milk. Endocrinol Jpn. 1979;26:507-13. PMID: 499092
4. Varma SK, Collins M, Row A et al. Thyroxine, tri-iodothyronine, and reverse tri-iodothyronine concentrations in human milk. J Pediatr. 1978;93:803-6. PMID: 712487
5. Mallol J, Obregon MJ, Morreale de Escobar GM. Analytical artifacts in radioimmunoassay of L-thyroxin in human milk. Clin Chem. 1982;28:1277-82. PMID: 7074933
6. Oberkotter LV, Tenore A. Separation and radioimmunoassay of T3 and T4 in human breast milk. Horm Res. 1983;17:11-8. PMID: 6551313
7. Koldovsky O. Hormones in milk. Vitam Horm. 1995;50:77-149. PMID: 7709605
8. Mallya M, Ogilvy-Stuart AL. Thyrotropic hormones. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2018;32:17-25. PMID: 29549956
9. Zhang Q, Lian XL, Chai XF et al. [Relationship between maternal milk and serum thyroid hormones in patients with thyroid related diseases.]. Zhongguo Yi Xue Ke Xue Yuan Xue Bao. 2013;35:427-31. PMID: 23987491
10. van Wassenaer AG, Stulp MR, Valianpour F et al. The quantity of thyroid hormone in human milk is too low to influence plasma thyroid hormone levels in the very preterm infant. Clin Endocrinol. 2002;56:621-7. PMID: 12030913

Substance Identification:
Substance Name:
Liothyronine

CAS Registry Number:
6893-02-3

Drug Class:
Breast Feeding
Lactation
Thyroid Hormones

Administrative Information:
LactMed Record Number:
Last Revision Date:
Disclaimer: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.

To be honest I would simply say no. Why bother taking a chance because I have seen some bizarre things with pregnancy and meds.

Didn’t want to go too much into depth but this is not for weight loss purposes. After coming off her SSRI’s her doc suggested to run some t3 tests including checking her t4 and tsh levels. I called the doc when I saw the lab requisition, I said she’ll do the bloodwork but if it is as you suspect and is prescribed T3 then what about the fact that she’s breastfeeding, to which she said “I’m not sure to be honest but it should be okay”. I said you are not sure if it’s an actual issue for the baby? She said she’s not aware of any clinical teats being done. I figured perhaps someone out there took it for medical reasons or for weight loss purposes while breastfeeding on the forums that can share their experience and the doses they were taking.

The literature was great merci!