Credit Card Fraud

Got the call from my credit card company. Someone trying to charge over 500 on my Credit card

The good news it was flagged and stopped

But how did someone get my information? It's a card I have not used in a year. I keep it for emergencies.
Happens every 3-4 years for me. Bank flags it, cancels the card and sends me a new one. But I buy almost everything online. Hard to say how they got it. A guy at work was just telling me you can buy 1000s of credit card numbers online. Most of the time mine got hit for 1 cent from overseas. Then they go big.

I had this two times in last 2 months now. My wife and i have one credit card we have in case of emergency. We literally never use the damn thing and very, very rare to use on line.
But these buggers did one for 24 dollars, it went through. Then they tried for 2400.00 and it was flagged. Our limit is low also, just in case this ever did go through. They stopped it at our bank, fully refunded the 24 dollars and shut the card off....
Brutal...It was a charge from Nigeria as well.....buggers.

So i lowered our limit even more, and if we do book a trip if ever mandates drop, or need to use it for some item only attainable with CC, we can put on more of a limit increase as there is a lot available and we can turn it on in case of need or emergency.

Our bank doesn't even need any verification anymore, it is all voice recognition now as well, which may be better than password and mothers maiden name etc...
Crazy times, and more crazy coming...

I’ve been compromised a few times. One particular time I called the CC company to give a heads up that I was going on a cruise and will be in the Bahamas using my card. The woman in the phone asked my pin, think nothing of it at the time I gave it to her. She sounded a fake nice when talking.
A few days later my CC called and told me a few attempts were made on my card and that only one was successful…….Ashley Madison. Com……this was luckily after the big leak but it could have been a bit embarrassing.

just remember one of the major credit card companies were hacked a few years back and millions of credit card info was taken. So possibly that is how they got the info. The company gave affected customers 2 years of credit report monitoring. I was one of those people. Not a single hit happened on my account in that time, but the info is still out there.

You always hear about companies that store info in plain text instead of it being encrypted. Info gets stolen, credit card gets charged 0.01$ to make sure it's valid and then they charge for big items.

I work in IT and I’ve known some hacker friends that tell me stories all the time that there’s software out there that is automated and will try every combination of card number, exp date and card code.

Got the call from my credit card company. Someone trying to charge over 500 on my Credit card

But how did someone get my information? It's a card I have not used in a year. I keep it for emergencies.
Ok I have a theory.

See back when Harper was in power he stopped credit card companies from increasing their rates on retailers, unless it was a special card.
‘The credit Card companies started sending out new “fancy” cards to everyone to increase rates, so Harper put thru another bill that only allowed credit card companies to send the new fancy card if someone requested it.

my thought is the card fraud is fake, and a grey area to be able to send you a new fancy card so when you use new fancy card, the credit card companies get an extra .02% off retailers.

Why i clued onto this was I had one card I had never used even once, actually one year the bank tried to charge me a non useage fee, lol, yeah they removed that quick. Anyhow I get a call one day saying the card was used in a fraudulant way. I asked how, I have never ever used this card, was the bank hacked? Anyhow the Indian guy muttered to avoid and that’s when I saw that lightbulb, lol.

I had this happen not long ago on my bank card. Visa debit. They took money over two weeks before they were flagged when trying a large purchase in Nova Scotia, 30 min after a purchase in Toronto...
I lost $1500 in total, lucky CIBC refunded all that money in about 10 business days...
I haven't had it happen on my credit card yet. Knock on wood.

credit card security is getting better and better. I booked a trip on my credit card last week and i got a text from CIBC asking for a "Y" to confirm it was a legitimate expense before they accepted. I remember the old days you would be on vacation and your card would get denied, you would have to call VISA and go through like 50 questions to get your card reactivated.

Happened to a good buddy of mine on a brand new card. Used it to make an online purchase from a well known peptide company, literally the first and only purchase made on the card. Next day the card company called him and somebody had maxed it out with a trip to disney. Shit happens.

My credit card company can call me if someone tries to charge my credit card from another country. For example, I once got a call from my bank agent saying that someone had used my credit card from Australia (while I was living in Minnesota). They immediately froze the card just in case. And I'm grateful for their vigilance. I found the banking company at https://www.youngandthrifty.ca/best-cash-back-credit-card-in-canada/. I'm glad I have two credit cards with good cashback. I stop any possible repercussions when someone tries to use the leaked data. Maybe you should turn on SMS notifications. Then you'll be protected from credit card hacks. I also suggest changing passwords in the apps where you have connected credit cards for online purchases.

Last edited:
I recently installed the app from my CC company. It notifies me anytime my card is used. I like it. I now know the moment HCO is using my card to get something off amazon.... She is a secondary card holder...lol I personally think its a great tool. The notifications come through in less than a minute. It gives me the option to deny the charge or not.

I recently installed the app from my CC company. It notifies me anytime my card is used. I like it. I now know the moment HCO is using my card to get something off amazon.... She is a secondary card holder...lol I personally think its a great tool. The notifications come through in less than a minute. It gives me the option to deny the charge or not.
You gotta refuse her charges a couple times for fun, lol.