Covid 19 Government support

Not if your normal job choice is one where you make a fair bit more money. Not every business can afford to pay every wage.
Like I had an engineer apply because his shop had laid off, you think for $35,000 he will stay when he was likely making 60+?
damn.

i get it.

this blows.

I owe the govt 4k now.

damn.

i get it.

this blows.

I owe the govt 4k now.
Fake your resume and put on a fake job that is inline with what you are applying for. If you are applying at a smaller mom and pop business they don’t usually call previous employers, but get the feeling about you by talking to you.
Ask them to not call your current employer because you don’t want to risk your existing job, then give them references to call, and if it’s a previous employer for another business even better.

APPLY IN PERSON.

Those are always the first I call in for interviews. If you actually show up, it shows me you are way more serious about getting hired than all the lazy asses applying online. Mind you don’t harass afterwards, looks too needy.

And if it’s online only, send a picture of yourself, not a head shot, but where you are doing something fun or shows your good side that makes you approachable. Seeing you and if I find that you look like what I am looking for massively increases your chance of being hired.

I know the government has made it illegal to not be biased against someone because of the weight, looks and so on, but trust me, hr, or the person hiring you looks at that.

Also when you apply dress for the job. Doing retail food, put your hair in a pony tail, wear jeans and a nice shirt with runners, only small earnings maybe one ring on your hand. You already look like how an employee should.

Hopefully you understand what I’m saying.

I work seasonal so. Unemployment is normal in my world. But, not having to work weekends is what's fuking me

What's even more fuked is that I've been looking for work. Part time and no call backs. I've mentioned to a few friends, I am about to put a different kind of name on my resume because, my name is far too white.

And now schools announced 15 students per class. And from my understanding, half in school, half online at home. Please tell me how a single parent is to do this? Am I better off sending him back to the states so he can purse a education? I'd like to work. My son doesn't see me as a teacher figure so, please tell me. How to teach him? Will I get paid for the time I spend teaching? Or now is education free? How about the actual teacher? I mean, surely they are happy, smaller class rooms but... Is that what they really wanted? To teach from home? Bloody hell. Fuk globalism.

And this is exactly why I am a bit of a liberal, because I believe honest people deserve help when its needed, and the conservative part of me believes a better economy with strong businesses will be able to help by hiring hardworking people so they can provide for their families.

First, let me preface this by saying the government is not fucking anybody in any way by requiring you to pay back taxes on the CERB benefit. They are literally giving you free money today and deferring the tax payment to another date when you should be in a better position financially to pay it. If they were to take off the 30-40% taxes now, while you have no regular income coming in, would you actually be able to pay your bills?

For my advice through all of this, for those who can afford to continue to make your payments on mortgages and loans, keep doing it! Use the deferral programs being offered as an absolute last resort. For 2 reasons.
1: Interest keeps accruing. They are deferring your payments but they are NOT deferring your interest costs. On a mortgage, especially a large one, this could be adding over a thousand dollars a month to your principal balance. And then throughout the length of your mortgage term you are paying interest on the interest. Over the lifetime of your loan this could cost you tens of thousands of dollars.
2: While it doesn't directly affect your credit, it does affect your ability to borrow. Here is a real-life example. Person decides to deffer his mortgage payments even though he could afford it. Decides to put his house for sale and buy a new house. With the equity in his current home + his balance in his account he has over 150k as a down payment on a 400k home. Credit score near 800. This person also works for a bank! They declined his mortgage application with what would normally be an instant approval. The reason? He just finished telling them 2 months ago he couldn't afford to make the payments on his mortgage and now he's looking for a bigger one. Went to another bank and applied, got the same answer. Lesson learned.

damn.

i get it.

this blows.

I owe the govt 4k now.

Find an accountant through word of mouth. They will talk to you and give advice for free. If owing money is the problem, an accountant can give you advice on what you can use for tax deductions to offset the 4K..

And this is exactly why I am a bit of a liberal, because I believe honest people deserve help when its needed, and the conservative part of me believes a better economy with strong businesses will be able to help by hiring hardworking people so they can provide for their families.
That doesn’t make you liberal or conservative, just high in common sense.
We obviously as a society need to help. But now we are helping ones that don’t need it too much and not helping the ones who really do. Disability people should be getting more, so many have applied at my store, but no way their bodies or mental state would hold up. The ones really disabled, not by drug abuse really want to get ahead, well the ones I have met anyways.
But I’ve had more than one person on welfare (male) that stated at the end of the shift, that the job was tougher than they expected and were going to stay on welfare ??? Welfare should be a short term bridge, 1 year at Max.

But I’ve had more than one person on welfare (male) that stated at the end of the shift, that the job was tougher than they expected and were going to stay on welfare ??? Welfare should be a short term bridge, 1 year at Max.
Doesn't THAT just make you happy to be a taxpayer? Going to have to be some changes though. We're not going to come out of the shutdown without a ton of people who just can't get employed. Places cheap enough to afford will be very hard to find.

And yes it should be short term. A motel, not a hotel.

Well keeping schools and daycares shut will not help. Most families are dual income. You will see businesses shut down or not reopen because of lack of staff.
When covid first hit 70 people applied, I ran another ad and only had 7 apply.

First, let me preface this by saying the government is not fucking anybody in any way by requiring you to pay back taxes on the CERB benefit. They are literally giving you free money today and deferring the tax payment to another date when you should be in a better position financially to pay it. If they were to take off the 30-40% taxes now, while you have no regular income coming in, would you actually be able to pay your bills?
I agree to a certain degree but there are going to be a ton of people who won't have the resources to repay at tax time. The youth unemployment rate is up to 30% and is going to go higher. The adult is heading towards 15% but could go to 20. Those people are going to start owing interest to Revenue Canada as of June 1, 2021. For some people all taxing CERB is going to do is push a problem down the road. They'll just have another creditor to deal with all the rest.

There are college graduates with great work records competing for minimum wage type jobs. Mortgages, cars, families. Everything is getting deferred but is going to need to be paid at some point. This isn't like EI in my (often useless) opinion. This is a once in a lifetime (hopefully!) pandemic that has killed a lot more than people. I feel that this is like some of those deals in the USA where they just need to throw a BUNCH of money at the problem and bridge people a better time.

I agree to a certain degree but there are going to be a ton of people who won't have the resources to repay at tax time. The youth unemployment rate is up to 30% and is going to go higher. The adult is heading towards 15% but could go to 20. Those people are going to start owing interest to Revenue Canada as of June 1, 2021. For some people all taxing CERB is going to do is push a problem down the road. They'll just have another creditor to deal with all the rest.

There are college graduates with great work records competing for minimum wage type jobs. Mortgages, cars, families. Everything is getting deferred but is going to need to be paid at some point. This isn't like EI in my (often useless) opinion. This is a once in a lifetime (hopefully!) pandemic that has killed a lot more than people. I feel that this is like some of those deals in the USA where they just need to throw a BUNCH of money at the problem and bridge people a better time.
I completely agree with this.
Even if they try to go after the ones who didn’t deserve it, how are they going to collect, jail time? Cost even more then.
My stepson got $4000 he’s on disability, how are they going to collect from him?

Thats when the boys in blue at CRA start with interest on your debt, and when re-payment isn't prompt enough they look at things like civil forfeiture, and eventual garnishing of wages.

CERB is playing a huge role in inflating these unemployment rates. I'm not saying it's all of it, there are still lots of businesses closed, people without child care arrangements and people with genuine fear of this virus.

Look at the province of NB. There were something like 750 job openings to work in fish processing plants, with added wage benefits paying something like $25/hr. That's 50k/yr which is pretty damn good in a province where the median HOUSEHOLD income is under 60k. They ran job fairs, were all over the news, job sites, etc.. The premier was even talking about the jobs in his daily covid debriefs. They ended up with less than 50 applications. Ended up bringing in 25 high school students from out of province and then brought in foreign workers from other countries to fill the rest of the positions.

If jobs are available and people are choosing to stay home either out of fear of the virus, or the desire to have the summer off and be paid, then they should absolutely be paying taxes on the income they're being given.

@afflicted I don't have a issue paying back the money. I knew it was a fuck up so, I put it in savings. My sister on the other hand. As she got ZERO from EI, saved the funds as well. I think I'll let my EI pay it off. My sister even told people in jail had someone on the outside applying for CERB. Like really?

And thanks. I think I will wait 2 more weeks to hear back from work. If nothing then, I will have to get more serious and figure out how I will do this with my son. With school class rooms being reduced. More in home studies. I have to provide him with education. I don't know if daycare will help teach. And daycare will be limited.

I've also done some intro to psychology with my time off. Not that it will be a official certificate. However, I may move further with the degree. I'm guessing a lot of children will need help once their parents hit rock bottom. I could consider something else. I have a case worker still from when I first came to Canada. I did the whole going back to work program, where they set you up with a little class, teach you all techniques you need for a job, interview skills, or what classes you need for education. Certificates. And then a personal worker to help you submit resumes etc. (I forget what it's called).

Thank you boys for your help, once again!

CERB is playing a huge role in inflating these unemployment rates. I'm not saying it's all of it, there are still lots of businesses closed, people without child care arrangements and people with genuine fear of this virus.

Look at the province of NB. There were something like 750 job openings to work in fish processing plants, with added wage benefits paying something like $25/hr. That's 50k/yr which is pretty damn good in a province where the median HOUSEHOLD income is under 60k. They ran job fairs, were all over the news, job sites, etc.. The premier was even talking about the jobs in his daily covid debriefs. They ended up with less than 50 applications. Ended up bringing in 25 high school students from out of province and then brought in foreign workers from other countries to fill the rest of the positions.

If jobs are available and people are choosing to stay home either out of fear of the virus, or the desire to have the summer off and be paid, then they should absolutely be paying taxes on the income they're being given.

This is a good point you make and it makes it tough for the government to determine who is taking advantage and who is not. What pisses me off the most though, why is our government not taxing the shit out of banks, grocery corporations etc. I think between the Nazi Royal Bank, and Maosist Loblaws Polet Bureau they surely can afford to help with cerb payments to the honest folk out there that desperately need the money to feed their families.

I think between the Nazi Royal Bank, and Maosist Loblaws Polet Bureau they surely can afford to help with cerb payments to the honest folk out there that desperately need the money to feed their families.
The banks are surprisingly making big investments in their employees during these times. Extra paid "personal days", 2-3 weeks worth of paid child support days, extra week vacation for everyone, monthly bonuses for everyone, reduced hours with full pay. I know people in the banking industry who normally work full time and are currently working 20hrs every 2 weeks and receiving full pay. I've been absolutely floored at how well they've been treating their staff.

The banks are surprisingly making big investments in their employees during these times. Extra paid "personal days", 2-3 weeks worth of paid child support days, extra week vacation for everyone, monthly bonuses for everyone, reduced hours with full pay. I know people in the banking industry who normally work full time and are currently working 20hrs every 2 weeks and receiving full pay. I've been absolutely floored at how well they've been treating their staff.

They should be making big investments in taxes. Could give a fuck how they treat their employees, when they are making millions in profit quarterly and paying fuck all in tax.