Calves

Cheapshot

Trusted Member
Is there any point of even training my calves anymore? Lol. I have no muscle behind my shin at all. Just a hardball size lump just behind my knee. High insertion point i guess. Is it even possible to grow these little fuckers. Or is it all genetics. No im not posting pics..lol. my 13 yr old daughters calves put mine to shame.

You and me both! Years of boxing didn’t help me, I got super shredded calves but barely a bump lol, I have tried everything; high reps, low reps, concentrated, heavy vest stairs... nothing helped.
Group buy plastic surgery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If something isn't growing, over the years I've learned to just stop training that muscle group for a while....certainly don't train it more.

Focus on flexing it through the day, do bodyweight reps and feel the muscle. Massage it out too because lots of peoples calfs are full of knots and that prevents growth.

If something isn't growing, over the years I've learned to just stop training that muscle group for a while....certainly don't train it more.

Focus on flexing it through the day, do bodyweight reps and feel the muscle. Massage it out too because lots of peoples calfs are full of knots and that prevents growth.

Interesting you are the second person to have said this, stopped training it for a few months and instead rejuvenate the muscle - massage and all, I will start using my gun!

Interesting you are the second person to have said this, stopped training it for a few months and instead rejuvenate the muscle - massage and all, I will start using my gun!

I've done it with all my muscle groups and I've benefited every time I've done it. Ya get on the gun too if you have one. Theyre great.

Think about calfs for a minute. Look at what sport have guys with big calfs....soccer players, cyclists to name a couple. What are they doing most of the time. Light, bodyweight motions for extended periods of time. I took a page out of that book and applied it to my calf a voila, they started growing.

I've done it with all my muscle groups and I've benefited every time I've done it. Ya get on the gun too if you have one. Theyre great.

Think about calfs for a minute. Look at what sport have guys with big calfs....soccer players, cyclists to name a couple. What are they doing most of the time. Light, bodyweight motions for extended periods of time. I took a page out of that book and applied it to my calf a voila, they started growing.

That actually makes so much sense, I was too oblivious to it.
I recently started scraping my shoulders and they look so much better and rounded off, I will start with calves and see if it pays off!

Seated calve raises build the outer lower calve muscles.
My calves are the same size as my arms, not sure if that’s good or not but my arms are 17”

Wasn t your arms, calves and neck supposed to be the same size?

I also do reps of 20-30.

I personally think my calves are too small. But I’m on my feet all day and am too lazy to train them all the time.

That actually makes so much sense, I was too oblivious to it.
I recently started scraping my shoulders and they look so much better and rounded off, I will start with calves and see if it pays off!

Utilize all that stuff man. I have scraping tools, cups and a massage gun and go for regular deep tissue/ART. It makes a big difference in recovery time and overall look of your physique.

My used to look amazing I definitely haven’t worked out my calves in a while something I definitely need to look into.

I know mine are knotted worse than a Rastas dreads. Massaging has helped and frequent stretching througout my work day has helped. I do calf raises off stairs occaisonally too and noticed a bit of growth, more so seperation and definition.
The release of knots is a great point !

I know mine are knotted worse than a Rastas dreads. Massaging has helped and frequent stretching througout my work day has helped. I do calf raises off stairs occaisonally too and noticed a bit of growth, more so seperation and definition.
The release of knots is a great point !
I think a lot of peoples issues with growth, or lack there of is due to the muscle being knotted and bound up. When this happens you dont get an adequate supply of blood to the muscle to provide it what it needs and you also don't have and adequate amount of blood leaving the muscle thus allowing toxins to accumilate there.

I've also learned that when muscles get knotted up they can kind just recirculate (for lack of a better ot medical term) the blood within them. Not good at all.

Muscles should not be rock hard. If they are theres issues. They should be pliable.

I think a lot of peoples issues with growth, or lack there of is due to the muscle being knotted and bound up. When this happens you dont get an adequate supply of blood to the muscle to provide it what it needs and you also don't have and adequate amount of blood leaving the muscle thus allowing toxins to accumilate there.

I've also learned that when muscles get knotted up they can kind just recirculate (for lack of a better ot medical term) the blood within them. Not good at all.

Muscles should not be rock hard. If they are theres issues. They should be pliable.
Do you find your forearms get the same tightness as your calves or do you not have these issues at all? I have poor mobility in my wrists and my forearms pump so terribly easily on back day/ arms.
Maybe ART is a good avenue for me, never tried it...

My calves are probably my most developed body part. I think it’s from being on my feet all day and playing lots of sports when I was younger.

Never used to train calves but have started doing one set in the 18-20 rep range standing calve raises. Do incredibly slow motion and my heels almost touch the ground on the negative. My calves have improved.

Now just need to lose my gut. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Do you find your forearms get the same tightness as your calves or do you not have these issues at all? I have poor mobility in my wrists and my forearms pump so terribly easily on back day/ arms.
Maybe ART is a good avenue for me, never tried it...
They have in the past. But regular work on them has kept them in good shape.

I found with calves they grow the best with high weight and when you contract you have to almost contract the muscle twice to get it to fully contract
Saw it in a jay cutler video and it actually worked, the 2nd time you contract the calf it moves 2x further

this video kinda shows it, I usually do my reps slower though.
i actually do this for a few body parts and it lets you contract the muscle way better

Last edited:
Jay Cutler really has some good methods on calves.
Especially the 1.5 rep technique.
Do the full rep come down slightly then push all the way back up.
My calves need a lot of work to grow.

I do calves on chest day.. not on leg day.
I do 5-6 sets of heavy standing calve raises. I go heavier each set and reduce reps... first set about 20 reps and last set about 8 reps. (I use the 1.5 rep technique for first 3-4 sets.
Then I do 4 sets of seated calve raises.
12 reps a set... the last 2 set I go to total failure with partial reps.
Anyways, this has really helped my calves.
I also try and sneak a bit of calves in on leg day. Like after each set on the leg press/hack squat machine, I finish off with calve raises.

Calves are the one thing I train just so I know I did it. They are going nowhere and I don't care as I've got other areas that need work. I'll try this 1.5 rep technique, that's easy to incorporate.

They are a good proportion to my arms... that's not saying much of my arms

Best, and most effective calf movement I have ever done is donkey raises. Not an issue when you're younger, and have a training partner. It was the one movement that noticeably grew my calves. Without a training partner it's a no go. Few gyms have a donkey calf machine, and hanging plates from a belt can work, but from experience you need a lot of weight. My training partner was 250, and held a 120lb dumbell between his thighs.
Given issues with my low back it's not worth attempting. But, for younger guys, it works, and I tried everything. We had both a standing and seated calf machines, but what worked best were donkey raises.

Now, I did some running earlier this summer, until some nerve issues flared up, but in that short time I had a noticeable improvement in my calves. Same as when I was biking 20k 4 days/wk.

I wish I had received my old man's calf genetics. He never played sports or worked out, but still has great calves, despite being almost 70.

I found with calves they grow the best with high weight and when you contract you have to almost contract the muscle twice to get it to fully contract
Saw it in a jay cutler video and it actually worked, the 2nd time you contract the calf it moves 2x further

this video kinda shows it, I usually do my reps slower though.
i actually do this for a few body parts and it lets you contract the muscle way better

Totally off topic, but anyone that likes older cars should click on the Seinfeld link. He's driving a 1963 Corvette Stingray, silver blue, with a 327V8. What a beauty. Love the description, but it needs little promotion, it's killer. It's also an entertaining episode of that show.

Last edited: