Calcium Score in Canada

iron sing

Trusted Member
Has anyone had this done in canada? there is a private place that does it but they want a docs referral. doc won't give me one due to my age 44 and no family history or concerns. i know in the usa you can just pay 150 bucks and get it done the same day.

yes i am been on vitamin d3/k2 for a few years now. LDL -c was in range which is what is deposited in the arteries.

This link was interesting.... based on this i don't need one yet. but i am curious to know. also if you ever get one and the score is not zero you don't need to retest, but a score of zero means its good to get tested every few years.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/do-you-need-a-calcium-scan

Has anyone had this done in canada? there is a private place that does it but they want a docs referral. doc won't give me one due to my age 44 and no family history or concerns. i know in the usa you can just pay 150 bucks and get it done the same day.
I love how we have to beg for healthcare here.
once shit opens up again I’m going to get a doctor in the USA. I’m close to the border.

I love how we have to beg for healthcare here.
once shit opens up again I’m going to get a doctor in the USA. I’m close to the border.
You can get the test, but apparently they only like to potentially give one at 50 yrs old and up. Stupid as this test early on can give a lot of preventive indications.
I have heard a few very reliable sources state that they took the score, then started a K2 regimen, and it improved the score significantly. I had it done a few years ago, i said i was really dizzy, and felt pressure on the artery in my neck area, and felt weird. I didnt, but they gave me the test, and i was in great shape and great numbers. Im going for another one soon, i got that one in Alberta, BC is a bit tougher, but it can be done if you read up on symptoms first...wink wink.

i guess we should assume we have a non zero score and just do all things you can to reverse and prevent further regression. most of this is stuff we do anyways.

i asked my doctor about it and he oddly said why do you want to know, i told him my reasons and he said what would you do if it was non zero, and i told him what i would do lol hes like start doing that now regardless. so their attitude and reasons are reserved for the really vulnerable ie bad lipid profile high bp, smoker family history.

cant really tell him well i been blasting for x number of years lol they don't care.

As @Sorbate said, having a doc south of the boarder is ideal for us in this line of performance enhancement. I just got back from the states had a full endocrine, metabolic, performance, and general health panel done including a CAC and bunch of other specific biomarkers at my own request no questions asked. All for under $500 cad, now il be good for another year. If you can afford it financially it definitely beats begging and making up reasons in hopes your doc is on board, canadian doctors are such a pain sometimes.

When I need something checked here, I have my USA doc write a letter to my canadian doc stating what needs to be done. Then there is an ethical obligation and responsibility on the Canadian doctors end to follow up.

As @Sorbate said, having a doc south of the boarder is ideal for us in this line of performance enhancement. I just got back from the states had a full endocrine, metabolic, performance, and general health panel done including a CAC and bunch of other specific biomarkers at my own request no questions asked. All for under $500 cad, now il be good for another year. If you can afford it financially it definitely beats begging and making up reasons in hopes your doc is on board, canadian doctors are such a pain sometimes.

When I need something checked here, I have my USA doc write a letter to my canadian doc stating what needs to be done. Then there is an ethical obligation and responsibility on the Canadian doctors end to follow up.
so we can just cross and go to any private doc?

I thought of doing this because of a post you made before. I’m like a bit over an hour. I know it would be stupidly easy to get a doctor there, where here after 3 years still nothing.

I get mine done every three years since I was 45. My doctor writes the referral to a private MRI clinic and she called me the day after I have it done with the result plus emails me a copy

Find a better dr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i guess we should assume we have a non zero score and just do all things you can to reverse and prevent further regression. most of this is stuff we do anyways.

i asked my doctor about it and he oddly said why do you want to know, i told him my reasons and he said what would you do if it was non zero, and i told him what i would do lol hes like start doing that now regardless. so their attitude and reasons are reserved for the really vulnerable ie bad lipid profile high bp, smoker family history.

cant really tell him well i been blasting for x number of years lol they don't care.
Why cant you tell him? You dont really have a reason to get the test otherwise. I just say I have abused drugs in the past and dont even mention steroids..

Its weird people go out and do cocaine and talk about it like its socaily acceptable in some groups.. but if you told them your on test... well thats bad. And you are looked down on by most. steroids have this huge stigma behind them.

so we can just cross and go to any private doc?
Correct. You can go to a private doc or clinic and get bloods, as well as prescriptions. All costs incurred on your end. See in the states it's all about the all mighty dollar, if you are willing to spend money they will find ways to justify giving you just about anything you want.

Canada is a pain in the ass....

Out of curiosity what does a calcium score cost in the US? Here in AB it cost $435. I only get it done once every 3 years so i don't consider that expensive

I think the province you live in also matters, I have lived in NF, NB and AB. I find that AB is significantly more open supporting a duel system of both public health care and private. Doctosr in AB appear to utilizes private MRIs, etc much more freely. Last year i just asked for an ecocardiogram and she was like ok and sent me to a private clinic as i did not fall into the guidelines for the public system supporting. Additionally i have some Dr friends and they all are sick of the gov restrictions on earning for doctors so they all run TRT, Botox, etc clinics on the side.

Out of curiosity what does a calcium score cost in the US? Here in AB it cost $435. I only get it done once every 3 years so i don't consider that expensive

I think the province you live in also matters, I have lived in NF, NB and AB. I find that AB is significantly more open supporting a duel system of both public health care and private. Doctosr in AB appear to utilizes private MRIs, etc much more freely. Last year i just asked for an ecocardiogram and she was like ok and sent me to a private clinic as i did not fall into the guidelines for the public system supporting. Additionally i have some Dr friends and they all are sick of the gov restrictions on earning for doctors so they all run TRT, Botox, etc clinics on the side.
750 Canadian private where i live. i have told him about gear my endo knows, but hes like your still not a risk based on your past lipid panel and family history and bp readings.

I believe the cac was around 175-200usd but I'll have to double check on that. Then the bloodwork was another couple hundred on top of that.

750 Canadian private where i live. i have told him about gear my endo knows, but hes like your still not a risk based on your past lipid panel and family history and bp readings.

A. that price is crazy compared to Alberta

B. I would be willing to wager it has nothing to do with your Health markers the doctor likely does not agree with the private model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That actually makes sense to me

Just a point of conversation but I don't believe that is the case. As I understand it that is not even the case if it was two CDN doctors. For an on topic example if you lose your TRT Dr for whatever reason your next Dr is under no obligation to continue to support it. I have personal experience with this involving a different med.

That actually makes sense to me

Just a point of conversation but I don't believe that is the case. As I understand it that is not even the case if it was two CDN doctors. For an on topic example if you lose your TRT Dr for whatever reason your next Dr is under no obligation to continue to support it. I have personal experience with this involving a different med.
Very fair and true point. When it comes to continuing prescriptions & therapies maybe not, but when it comes to investigative health markers most would rather error on the side of caution and take something more seriously when there is another doctor on board with justifiable cause. The consequence of patient neglect would be far greater if they didn't investigate and something were to happen especially if it was documented. This is my thought on the matter anyways. It may not work in every case, but its a tool I have used in the past to get what I want from the medical system.

Very fair and true point. When it comes to continuing prescriptions & therapies maybe not, but when it comes to investigative health markers most would rather error on the side of caution and take something more seriously when there is another doctor on board with justifiable cause. The consequence of patient neglect would be far greater if they didn't investigate and something were to happen especially if it was documented. This is my thought on the matter anyways. It may not work in every case, but its a tool I have used in the past to get what I want from the medical system.
100% agree that it may be worth a shot! Especially for you as it appears to be working. It may give the second Dr in these scenarios a sense of reassurance that he is being somewhat backed up by a fellow Dr.

I would have said all that in my first post but I'm working on limiting my "rambling addiction" :)