Buying gym equipment?

mustang1234

Trusted Member
With all that is going on in Ontario and I'm sure Doug Fold will be shutting everything down again I want to invest in some equipment. I have lots of weight and some dumb bells but want a bit more. I have a half rack but don't like the peg placement for bench and squats. I'll put the rack up for sale when things close down.

I was looking at something like this https://www.fitnessavenue.ca/product/TO/cm0af102/AmStaff-Fitness-AF102-Functional-Smith-Machine that has a smith but also can use as a power rack.

If anyone has anywhere else to suggest to look I'd appreciate it.

With all that is going on in Ontario and I'm sure Doug Fold will be shutting everything down again I want to invest in some equipment. I have lots of weight and some dumb bells but want a bit more. I have a half rack but don't like the peg placement for bench and squats. I'll put the rack up for sale when things close down.

I was looking at something like this https://www.fitnessavenue.ca/product/TO/cm0af102/AmStaff-Fitness-AF102-Functional-Smith-Machine that has a smith but also can use as a power rack.

i like it

I have had this unit for probably 8 years.
Absolutely no complaints or issues. I spay the sliding parts with silicone spray to make it a smoother action

I bought a really fancy adjustable bench from them and it must of been made overseas. I couldn't believe how bad the quality was. I tried everything to get it lined up good. when you would put it up it was always at a slight angle to the right side. Terrible quality control. I even showed them how far out of alignment it was with pictures. Basically they said i put it together wrong...lol. so sold it cheap on kijjiji and bought a cheap one from fitness depot. Way more solid and built better.

Not sure what part of the country your in but fitness depot is pretty hard to beat on pricing and quality. Most of it is made in Canada

I bought a really fancy adjustable bench from them and it must of been made overseas. I couldn't believe how bad the quality was. I tried everything to get it lined up good. when you would put it up it was always at a slight angle to the right side. Terrible quality control. I even showed them how far out of alignment it was with pictures. Basically they said i put it together wrong...lol. so sold it cheap on kijjiji and bought a cheap one from fitness depot. Way more solid and built better.

Not sure what part of the country your in but fitness depot is pretty hard to beat on pricing and quality. Most of it is made in Canada
Yeah, i was looking at the prices on some of the equipment in the OP post. Pretty cheap. That makes me question the quality.
But there are a few things i would order right now if every thing wasnt backordered. Like the calf raise.

I'm near London. I was there today and they had something similar I was interested in. Just looking to see what's out there first.

Looks good.
I got a cheaper rack and spent my money on a shit ton of plates and dumbbells. Also a cheaper lat pulldown which actually works well. Got a leg press a few months back
Now looking into one of those leverage systems they got at treadmillfactory

I timed it right and bought all my gym equipment about 4 months pre-covid.
I was looking at the AF100 as an option, but every single review I read on AmStaff said it was super cheaply made with thin Chinese steel. I should note it was also around $1,400 at the time.

I'd personally recommend the bells of steel light commercial rack with cable attachments. You mention spacing, it uses 1" spacing through the power zone which is awesome!

I've seen these in actual commercial gyms and they've held up for years. They're very solid. You could fully deck it out with all accessories for less than the AmStaff, but you'd lose the functionality of the smith machine (which I read had terrible feel on the AmStaff).

I timed it right and bought all my gym equipment about 4 months pre-covid.
I was looking at the AF100 as an option, but every single review I read on AmStaff said it was super cheaply made with thin Chinese steel. I should note it was also around $1,400 at the time.

I'd personally recommend the bells of steel light commercial rack with cable attachments. You mention spacing, it uses 1" spacing through the power zone which is awesome!

I've seen these in actual commercial gyms and they've held up for years. They're very solid. You could fully deck it out with all accessories for less than the AmStaff, but you'd lose the functionality of the smith machine (which I read had terrible feel on the AmStaff).
Bells of steel is way better quality then the amstaff stuff. I will say the bells of steel pulleys are cheap as fuck, I was changing them every few months and i barely use cables. I actually let the company know and they sent be a bunch of replacement pulleys, but you can buy them cheap off ebay.

I highly recommend rogue equipment. It’s not cheap but the quality is next level and it will last you for years. The resell value on it is unreal if you need to sell

Been looking at some home gym stuff recently. Many of the places listed here. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but may have to one day. In any case, yeah that Rogue stuff looks sweeeeet! But the prices... Wow!!! Can you say cha-ching!?!?!? Lol. Pretty rich for my blood, but def looks nice, and I do bet it is solid quality.

Been looking at some home gym stuff recently. Many of the places listed here. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but may have to one day. In any case, yeah that Rogue stuff looks sweeeeet! But the prices... Wow!!! Can you say cha-ching!?!?!? Lol. Pretty rich for my blood, but def looks nice, and I do bet it is solid quality.
I’ve yet to find anything that’s better quality than rogue. But for the average basement/garage lifter it may be overkill. IMO you get what you pay for with this stuff. Buy once, cry once.

Only thing about that machine is the cable cross over attachments will be far too close together to be functionable