Brinstar log

Brinstar

Starting up a personal log to digitally track my progress (have been using notebooks in the gym for years)
Gonna be a work in progress to establish my backstory and experience and what my goals going forward are

Background:

Growing up I was always small and underweight. I wasn't anorexic or anything but for my teens I hovered around 115 lbs. This is normal for my family as my brother, father, and grandfather were also this weight even into older age. At 17 I was dumped by my first major girlfriend who I believe cheated on me and this, combined with my desire to join the army, motivated me to start working out. I hired a personal trainer who started me out on basic fullbody workouts but more importantly engrained in me the importance and power of proper nutrition - not just eating "healthy" but understanding calories and macros and their ability to magnify the work you put in the gym.
My first 8 or so months I ballooned from 115 lbs to 155 lbs. Over the next couple months prior to enlisting in the army I pushed that limit to 175 lbs but most of that last 20 lbs was probably fat. That was the heaviest I've ever been. Upon joining the army training for strength/size was very difficult as the emphasis was on pushups, endurance running etc. Army training often interfered with my preferred training routines and I was forced to choose between giving up my fitness goals or overtraining. I did the best I could to gain as much lean mass as I could while keeping bodyfat at bay to remain "army fit". I hovered around 155 lbs during that time at about 10-12% bodyfat.

At 23 after finishing my contract with the army I tried pushing harder for more weight gain and finally had the time to dedicate myself to pushing myself physically as far as I could go naturally. Just to see what I could do I leaned myself out to around 7-8% bodyfat at 150 lbs and that remains the fittest and strongest I've looked. Below are pictures of what I look like in that condition. Despite more time to focus on weightlifting I have always plateaued around 160 lbs while remaining lean. Anything past that pretty much always goes exclusively to fat so I never try to gain past that. I have a great diet that is both healthy but also not mentally straining (I allow myself to eat moderate amounts of what I enjoy). I'm committed to my training and don't skip workouts. My training plan hasn't really changed much over the years. I made great strength and size gains with the plan I stuck to but it all fizzles out around 160 lbs. I've tried deloads and specialized training where I focus my energy on certain muscle groups while maintaining others instead of expecting gains all over at the same time but this has limited results.

When I look back and think on it I've always had a small frame but despite that I've managed to put on 40-50 lbs of lean mass over my training career. My family is about 40 lbs lighter than me with probably +10% bodyfat more. I know it sounds crazy or like a cop out but I do think I've reached my natural genetic limits. My gains are in line with what most studies purport to be natural gains over a lifting career. On the one hand I'm proud of my gains compared to what I used to look like at 115 lbs as well as my strength. I do not look like I lift but mentally I know I'm not a weakling. I can do full extension pullups with up to 45 lb plate belts attached to me, I can do one arm pushups for reps, the weights I'm putting up in the gym are far from mind boggling but they are respectable, at least to me.

I guess the most frustrating part is that despite all the progress I've made I still don't look like I lift and this does mentally mess with me a bit as it sucks to dedicate so much time each year in the gym, eating healthy, only for it not to give you the success you pine for. I've always been on the small end and its frustrating when people tell me I need to eat more or gain weight. I'd love to but I don't want to be sitting at 175-180 lbs at 20+% bodyfat. I want to be the heaviest I can be at while still remaining in shape and that magic number is about 160 naturally for me. I definitely have a form of body dysmorphia related to an insecurity about my size. I've always wanted to reach a weight of 180-190 while remaining in shape.

All this being said I think I'm finally ready to take the leap into going beyond natural. I've always considered the option since my early 20's but a combination of wanting to see what I could do naturally first as well wanting to wait for myself to fully grow kept me at bay. The stereotypes of the side effects of steroids were also a strong deterrent for many years. The tipping point for me came earlier this year when my best friend told me that he had been using SARMS. Since they don't carry the same stigma as steroids I began researching them and came to the conclusion that the very modest gains I could expect from Sarms weren't worth the risks and that if I was going to go down that route that I mineswell go full in and do anabolic steroids. I began researching them and realized that a lot of the risks seem overexaggerated, at least as long as they aren't abused and are treated with respect. My goals aren't to get bigger/stronger just for the sake of getting bigger or stronger. That's a rabbit hole that has no bottom. Honestly I just want to reach 180-190 at a lean weight and I think this would help my self esteem, confidence, and happiness tremendously.

Goals:
I want to take the next 1.5-2 months to reach my natural limits again and then from there I plan to do a simple steroid cycle of 500 mg test cypionate/week for 12-16 weeks. My long term goals are to reach 180-190 lbs at a lean weight (10-12% bodyfat). I'd like to train for a mix of strength/size. Specifically I'd like to increase my arm size as I've always been tall and lanky, while at the same time I'd like to finally be able to bench press 225 for a few reps. I've never been able to press more than 185 for a few reps.

Work to do:
I am still researching how I will conduct PCT as well as how I will control sides during cycle. I need to finish this before I start cycle.

I want to research more about how my training will change as I start steroids. I expect that I'll be able to increase volume a lot as well as frequency but I'm not sure what the ideal amount of work would be to maximize gains realistically. I'm a big proponent of doing the least amount of work/drug in order to achieve desired results.

I need to get bloodwork done while I remain natural. Ideally I'd like to get bloodwork done soon, and then once again just prior to starting a cycle. I want to get bloodwork after I reach my peak natural strength levels in a month or so and then again after I've dieted down a bit to 10-12%bodyfat. I'm not sure if I should expect much differences in my blood results but I still think two tests will give me a more accurate level of my blood results prior to steroids.

Progress Pictures:
These pics are me at my leanest and I do have a pump. I don't look like that all the time lol. In both images I'm about 147-150lbs at I'd guess 7-8%bodyfat.

Last edited:
Very good level of leanness to start your first cycle for sure. You have a solid base.

I want to research more about how my training will change as I start steroids. I expect that I'll be able to increase volume a lot as well as frequency but I'm not sure what the ideal amount of work would be to maximize gains realistically. I'm a big proponent of doing the least amount of work/drug in order to achieve desired results.

You will for sure want to increase your volume, take advantage of that enhanced recovery. Don't be afraid to take a de-load week to let your tendons and soft tissue catch up to your muscle and strength gains, as to avoid injury. But at the end of the day, the amount of calories you take in will be the most anabolic thing you can do.

Nice write up, I will be following!

Following. You're in a pretty decent place to start a first cycle.

Get bloodwork, no need to change your training just because you're using gear and eat... don't worry about getting a little fluffy first time round.

Great intro/log and it reads like you want to do this right. I wouldn't assume you can ramp up the volume or number of workouts per week as your strength is going to go up, if you don't take time off your tendons/ligaments may have a hard time keeping up to the muscle growth/strength increases. This can be a recipe for disaster.
You can train the same on or off. Even if you lift the same - most likely all your lifts are going to go up and you will need time off to recover.

Whatever workouts you do, concentrate on progressive overload but if you are feeling run down, tired, too sore take a day or to off. Longevity in training / as few injuries as possible is key to keep doing this for decades.

Following.

Good luck on your cycle.
Train hard and eat big. If you get a little soft, dont worry about it. You seem like someone that can drop bf quickly. Dont leave gains on the table because your afraid of a little extra bf.
I would not say this to someone who is naturally fat btw. They have to be extra careful all the time

I'm going to be honest here. You are young, look fucking great. Why use gear now?
Honestly you have the body woman drool over.
That's the same way I looked (except I was a bit shorter, so waist was not as long, same weight) as you do now.
Personally I would save it till later like in your 40's

You are tapping out at 160 because at your lean level to mass ratio that is all your body will likely hold. I used to stall out at 150-155 being that lean as well. I was strong as hell for my weight, but hit a certain point and never really got bigger being natural.

Getting bigger isn't what its all cracked up to be. You breathe heavier all the time, don't fit into spaces you used to anymore. Lose flexability, joints ache, lol.

Ah, fuck what am I saying. Go for it if you want. What I did and what you do are two different things, I waited because I looked fucking good and just didn't bother trying hard to find gear (which was much harder 20 years ago). I had this thing in my mind that I was better than steroid users being natural.

Now look at me. Who am I to talk?

You will not need a lot of gear to grow, I'd bet you'll blow up on 300 mg of test a week.

@Brinstar
Great base, both physical and knowledge.
Good stuff itt so far, I'll add to the what the others have said in point form.
You covered damn near everything so you'll need to revisit a few areas cause there ain't much left.

Current pics would be great.
In those pics you seem to be lacking width but while that may be true the pics also may be distorted. What say yee?
I thought that was important to note because bodybuilding and "looking like you lift" in general is largely subject to illusion. I'm guessing that when you say you don't look like you lift you mean while you are clothed because you def look like you do shirtless in the posted pics.
I love how informed you seem to be about diet, do you have a tight handle on macros and cals? ie do you track numbers?
I suspect your coming progress is going to come from very small changes and continued persistence but how about posting up details of diet and training to maybe identify what may be missing. Other than gear lol.
Maybe a radical change in some areas is warranted rather than small ones? A lightbulb moment?

I'm going to be honest here. You are young, look fucking great. Why use gear now?
That's the same way I looked (except I was a bit shorter, so waist was not as long, same weight) as you do now.

You are tapping out at 160 because at your lean level to mass ratio that is all your body will likely hold. I used to stall out at 150-155 being that lean as well. I was strong as hell for my weight, but hit a certain point and never really got bigger being natural.

Getting bigger isn't what its all cracked up to be. You breathe heavier all the time, don't fit into spaces you used to anymore. Lose flexability, joints ache, lol.

Ah, fuck what am I saying. Go for it if you want. What I did and what you do are two different things, I waited because I looked fucking good and just didn't bother trying hard to find gear (which was much harder 20 years ago). I had this thing in my mind that I was better than steroid users being natural.

You will not need a lot of gear to grow, I'd bet you'll blow up on 300 mg of test a week.
Agree with everything said here. You're in excellent shape man, your goals are quite realistic and attainable. Good luck!

Very good level of leanness to start your first cycle for sure. You have a solid base.

You will for sure want to increase your volume, take advantage of that enhanced recovery. Don't be afraid to take a de-load week to let your tendons and soft tissue catch up to your muscle and strength gains, as to avoid injury. But at the end of the day, the amount of calories you take in will be the most anabolic thing you can do.

Nice write up, I will be following!
Thank you, Yes I'm excited to hopefully reach new heights in the gym. For the last 5 years ever since I turned 27 I've begun to feel a bit run run down and lethargic so looking forward to the test giving me that youthful energy again. Will have to be careful and not increase weights too fast as a couple parts of the body are starting to feel their age.

Following. You're in a pretty decent place to start a first cycle.

Get bloodwork, no need to change your training just because you're using gear and eat... don't worry about getting a little fluffy first time round.
Yes, I want to do this the right way as much as possible so I won't start til I get bloodwork. I don't mind gaining a bit of excess fat. I've always found it easy to lean out and I think its an effective plan to max out the muscle gain during the cycle even if I do get a bit puffy.

Great intro/log and it reads like you want to do this right. I wouldn't assume you can ramp up the volume or number of workouts per week as your strength is going to go up, if you don't take time off your tendons/ligaments may have a hard time keeping up to the muscle growth/strength increases. This can be a recipe for disaster.
You can train the same on or off. Even if you lift the same - most likely all your lifts are going to go up and you will need time off to recover.

Whatever workouts you do, concentrate on progressive overload but if you are feeling run down, tired, too sore take a day or to off. Longevity in training / as few injuries as possible is key to keep doing this for decades.

Following.
Thank you, I think I will probably increase my sets by 1 per exercise for now and see how I feel. I already have a pretty modest workout plan so a few extra sets won't be too much. Other than that I plan on increasing weight on lifts as much as I can safely.

Good luck on your cycle.
Train hard and eat big. If you get a little soft, dont worry about it. You seem like someone that can drop bf quickly. Dont leave gains on the table because your afraid of a little extra bf.
I would not say this to someone who is naturally fat btw. They have to be extra careful all the time
Thank you, yes I've always found the dieting part relatively easy for me, especially with an EC stack. When I first started lifting and was focused on reaching my heaviest weight ever, around 175-180, it was brutal trying to eat enough calories to gain weight so I'm not too worried about putting on any unnecessary weight but I won't worry if it happens either unless it goes overboard.

Thanks, I've been with more than my fair share of women so I guess I've just reached a point where I don't care too much about what they think of my body, I want it. I'm not planning on becoming absurdly big or anything so I feel like not only will I be happier with the gains but I think up to a point it'll be even more attractive to any women in my life.

To be fair I'm definitely a high responder to the pump. These pics are a few years old and were me at my leanest with a pump so I definitely don't look like that 99% of the time. I have no idea what my natural T is at but for the last 5 years I've definitely noticed myself beginning to feel older, run down, tired all the time, losing motivation, issues with some depression so I think gear will help with a lot of that as well from a mental standpoint (even if this dose is a bit of overkill for those reasons).

That makes sense about me tapping out at that leanness at 160, although I've always wished I could tap out around there at 185 ish.

The reason I went with 500 mg/week as my beginner dose is that it does seem to be the most recommended intro dose by many, as well as I feel it'll be a bit easier to manage AI on a larger dose rather than one that possibly barely will put me into range of high estrogen etc. Since this is my first cycle I want to take as much advantage of it as I can since most say the first cycle has the largest potential and obviously 500 mg will provide more than 300.

@Brinstar
Great base, both physical and knowledge.
Good stuff itt so far, I'll add to the what the others have said in point form.
You covered damn near everything so you'll need to revisit a few areas cause there ain't much left.

Current pics would be great.
In those pics you seem to be lacking width but while that may be true the pics also may be distorted. What say yee?
I thought that was important to note because bodybuilding and "looking like you lift" in general is largely subject to illusion. I'm guessing that when you say you don't look like you lift you mean while you are clothed because you def look like you do shirtless in the posted pics.
I love how informed you seem to be about diet, do you have a tight handle on macros and cals? ie do you track numbers?
I suspect your coming progress is going to come from very small changes and continued persistence but how about posting up details of diet and training to maybe identify what may be missing. Other than gear lol.
Maybe a radical change in some areas is warranted rather than small ones? A lightbulb moment?
Thank you, yes I plan on getting some unpumped/pumped photos of me in about about 5-6 weeks once I've gotten a bit more back into top shpae, and then again a bit after when I've leaned out a bit just prior to doing the cycle. I need to find a good place in my apt and at the gym where I can get consistent lighting for good before/after shots.

Yes people often are surprised when I take off my shirt. I have a good 6 pack which immediately flags me as being in shape and I also think my triceps stand out a lot compared to other guys in day to day life but unfortunately I do feel I have a smaller frame and my forearms have always been a bit scrawny. I'm also 155-165 year round which many in our society considers underweight. I guess I just want a bit more mass to show for my efforts.

Nutrition was my passion in university and I was pretty strict with my diet and counting calories/macros etc. As I've gotten older I'm a lot less anal about it and try to enjoy life more but I still keep a good diet. For these coming months I'm going to be dialing in the diet again like I used to. Soon I'll post my diet plan. Same with the training plan.

I showed my wife, she said don’t run gear, she thinks you look,great alreasy, lol.
lol thank you I appreciate her words. I often hear from women how I'm in great shape and they like me just as I am but I'm sure they'll like me even more at +20-25 lbs and I'm doing this for myself. Honestly think it'll help me with my confidence and self esteem and general happiness more than anything else.