Best fiber source?

Furius_Saturninus_Plautia

Trusted Member
My current diet Is pretty much just baked chicken breast with steamed broccoli, boiled eggs and tuna mixed with cottage cheese, no sugar, no major carbs aside from a few corn chips now and then and for liquids it's just straight up H20. I'm wanting to add more fiber to my diet to help me from getting backed up so I'm curious what others here eat for added fiber? Thanks.

Adding carbs like sweet potato, or oats would be a good fiber source. But if you're trying to keep your carbs low, then veggies/nuts/seeds would be your best bet.

I really like psyllium fibre to increase fibre intake
If you get a good flavoured one, you can mix it into a jello/pudding like consistency

for actual food I usually just eat fruit, popcorn or oatmeal

My current diet Is pretty much just baked chicken breast with steamed broccoli, boiled eggs and tuna mixed with cottage cheese, no sugar, no major carbs aside from a few corn chips now and then and for liquids it's just straight up H20. I'm wanting to add more fiber to my diet to help me from getting backed up so I'm curious what others here eat for added fiber? Thanks.

NO FIBRE! (maybe)

Not the question you asked but just to aware you of the flipside. The common perception and accepted theory is of course opposite to what was found in this study. I personally have been encouraging people to consider all the angles on this for decades now. I believe fibre has the potential to do damage to your innards by basically scraping the good bacteria and cilia away in your GI tract.

I only ever ask people to consider this side of it but some people get very emotional and confirmation bias rears it's head, I'm sure y'all can imagine some of the heated discussions...

NO FIBRE! (maybe)

Not the question you asked but just to aware you of the flipside. The common perception and accepted theory is of course opposite to what was found in this study. I personally have been encouraging people to consider all the angles on this for decades now. I believe fibre has the potential to do damage to your innards by basically scraping the good bacteria and cilia away in your GI tract.

I only ever ask people to consider this side of it but some people get very emotional and confirmation bias rears it's head, I'm sure y'all can imagine some of the heated discussions...

Yeah there's been several studies about this. A lot of people on Carnivore claim to have great digestive health/bowel movements. I think the body just adapts.

I've decided I'm just going to add carrots to my meals and see if the extra fiber helps. I don't want/need a ton of fiber so I'll just see how my gut handles my new diet. I forgot to mention I also have a small portion of yogurt 3 times per day and that seems to really help keep everything moving in the right direction :) Thanks again for all the info.

NO FIBRE! (maybe)

See just like how we respond to gear, each persons bowels are different.
Without fibre no matter how much water I drink, I will be constipated.
If I only use certain fibres, like oats, beans, but not psyllium I will be constipated.

I believe it’s because without psyllium fibre, my digestive system moves slower and removes more water thereby causing constipation.

I asked my surgeon if fibre would damage my intestines. He laughed. This guy now has 30 years of education backing him, his speciality is ocolonogy, all he does is repair and treat the digestive system. He has partaken and ran over 25 studies.

Now I think you can over do it. Plus you need to increase your water intake or you will constipate.

I’m not sure if too much fibre will remove too much bacteria, maybe it clears the bowels too efficiently?
Or if injesting too much fibre will cause damage, it might.

Like everything I believe there is moderation.

After a couple of years, I really have my digestive tract down pat.
2 scoops of fibre a day spread out, 1 digestive enzyme with breakfast and a couple times a week a probiotic.
If I follow this, my digestive system is top notch, no bad gas, no upset stomach, no heartburn or bloating.

Mind you simple things like alcohol and upset your system, or changes in diet.

I figure use whatever works for you.

Btw, my mom can’t use fibre suplements, she bungs up. It really helped my wife though.

Wheat bran - totally natural, works better than Metamucil, costs nothing. Only downside is it isn't as easy to incorporate as other things, but I don't mind several tablespoons with my oats.

Being someone who has had diverticulitis twice and have always struggled with fiber , this is hands down the best and cheap. Iv tried Metamucil etc as well and iv found it causes to much stomach pain for me . Daily cleanse i find is awesome.
Screenshot_20200813-200203_Chrome.jpg