Bell Let's Talk

Bagua

Staff member
This is a day to reflect on what has gone before with COVID and mental health. Like so many others, I am not myself and find I am being sucked into a Black Dog of depression from isolation and life changes due to COVID restrictions. Having been in the mental health field for many, many years, I know what to expect and do my very best to avoid the sucking of spirit depression causes. It doesn't always work. I have a permanent knot in my stomach from anxiety that even my Ibuki and Zazen breathing methods do not tackle fully.
I know many of us are feeling the same way, and if you need to reach out, I and many others are willing to lend an ear, a kind word and a virtual hug. You are not in this alone.

This is a day to reflect on what has gone before with COVID and mental health. Like so many others, I am not myself and find I am being sucked into a Black Dog of depression from isolation and life changes due to COVID restrictions. Having been in the mental health field for many, many years, I know what to expect and do my very best to avoid the sucking of spirit depression causes. It doesn't always work. I have a permanent knot in my stomach from anxiety that even my Ibuki and Zazen breathing methods do not tackle fully.
I know many of us are feeling the same way, and if you need to reach out, I and many others are willing to lend an ear, a kind word and a virtual hug. You are not in this alone.
Yeah I see it in my staff. They are feeling bored, depressed.
I just tell them jokes and have fun at work.
I could be a hermit, so I’m fine, but it’s hitting my wife hard.

Take care.

I don’t have time to get depressed I got to much on my hands but thank you @Bagua for the kind words, if I do get depressed in the future I definitely will know I have this forum to lean on to help me with my trouble times ❤️

tks @Bagua . I am like @Annika I am so busy covid is not affecting me much at all except that is all that is on the news ... so I turn the news off. It's unfortunate what the government is doing to us as a whole. I think the people that are getting and transmitting should be the ones that paying for this debacle. Government is to slack on quarantining people that have it and they are to loose on travel. Why shut down gyms when it is some asshole who travelled from Brazil who brought it in. Detain his ass and through him in jail... fine the fuck out of him/her ... you would see cases go down then. You still here a lot about non essential travelers bringing it in. Send these people packing and no non essential travel out or into provinces. But ffs keep gyms open.

Kids and mental health...

"When you have a "regular" child, you feel reasonably assured that class participation and decent study habits will result in good grades. These kids have close friends. They get invited to participate in social things like dances and weekend gatherings. They make the teams, auditioned organizations and clubs.
But when you have a child with certain differences, this is often not the case. Learning may take longer, both academically and socially. Despite their tremendous efforts, results are often a fraction of their peers and social acceptance is fleeting, setting them up for painful comparisons and bitter frustration. Instead of a fun and fulfilling experience, school can become a breeding ground for depression and anxiety, and assignments a battle ground at home. It is exhausting for parent and child alike.
This is the week of SPED (Special Education), Autism, Dyslexia, and ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) awareness.
For all the children who struggle every day to succeed in a world that does not recognize their gifts and talents, and for those who are walking beside them, please let this be a gentle reminder to be kind and accepting of ALL people.
Recognize that the "playing field" is not always a level surface.
Children who learn differently are not weird. They are merely gifted in ways that our society does not value enough. Yet they want what everyone else wants: To be accepted!!"

Kids and mental health...

"When you have a "regular" child, you feel reasonably assured that class participation and decent study habits will result in good grades. These kids have close friends. They get invited to participate in social things like dances and weekend gatherings. They make the teams, auditioned organizations and clubs.
But when you have a child with certain differences, this is often not the case. Learning may take longer, both academically and socially. Despite their tremendous efforts, results are often a fraction of their peers and social acceptance is fleeting, setting them up for painful comparisons and bitter frustration. Instead of a fun and fulfilling experience, school can become a breeding ground for depression and anxiety, and assignments a battle ground at home. It is exhausting for parent and child alike.
This is the week of SPED (Special Education), Autism, Dyslexia, and ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) awareness.
For all the children who struggle every day to succeed in a world that does not recognize their gifts and talents, and for those who are walking beside them, please let this be a gentle reminder to be kind and accepting of ALL people.
Recognize that the "playing field" is not always a level surface.
Children who learn differently are not weird. They are merely gifted in ways that our society does not value enough. Yet they want what everyone else wants: To be accepted!!"
Unfortunately, yes.

Thanks @Bagua for this post. I think a lot of people struggle silently. Lost a couple friends this year to suicide and it’s a helpless feeling knowing they’re gone and you had no clue they were struggling.

This last year has been extremely tough on our family, with 4 kids not in school, my wife’s bipolar disorder still not medicated and my own depression it has hit us hard.

I was always one to just buck up and “be a man”. After numerous fights and breakdowns between me and my wife, caused by her illness and my struggles, I gave in, began meditation and speaking with a professional. It’s been a tough road and still have to stick to it to continue to see progress, but just wanted to say here if anyone’s struggling with anything similar, reach out. I’m willing to listen or someone else is here. Just don’t do it alone!

Holy shit @Frank.castle 4 kids and a bi polar wife... now that is a handful. I am glad you are getting professional help. I think we all have our demons and we struggle with them differently. No one knows what severe depression is like ... until they have had it and struggled to come out the other side. I am glad your seeing some progress.

When I was in grade school i was never one of the cool or popular kids ... but I was big, coordinated and very good at sports. I hated the condescending and verbally mean kids, I was always sticking up for the small guy. It feels like shit getting crapped on all the time, cause I got crapped on until I took my growing spurt. I was sent to the office more times than i can count but it was worth it.

Holy shit @Frank.castle 4 kids and a bi polar wife... now that is a handful. I am glad you are getting professional help. I think we all have our demons and we struggle with them differently. No one knows what severe depression is like ... until they have had it and struggled to come out the other side. I am glad your seeing some progress.

When I was in grade school i was never one of the cool or popular kids ... but I was big, coordinated and very good at sports. I hated the condescending and verbally mean kids, I was always sticking up for the small guy. It feels like shit getting crapped on all the time, cause I got crapped on until I took my growing spurt. I was sent to the office more times than i can count but it was worth it.
Thanks brother. I was the same in grade school but mine was being fat. As I hit highschool and started hitting the weights i stopped being fat and just fought any “cool” kid that picked on other people

Reactions: PGM
Thanks @Bagua for this post. I think a lot of people struggle silently. Lost a couple friends this year to suicide and it’s a helpless feeling knowing they’re gone and you had no clue they were struggling.

This last year has been extremely tough on our family, with 4 kids not in school, my wife’s bipolar disorder still not medicated and my own depression it has hit us hard.

I was always one to just buck up and “be a man”. After numerous fights and breakdowns between me and my wife, caused by her illness and my struggles, I gave in, began meditation and speaking with a professional. It’s been a tough road and still have to stick to it to continue to see progress, but just wanted to say here if anyone’s struggling with anything similar, reach out. I’m willing to listen or someone else is here. Just don’t do it alone!

I'm sort of dealing with the same.. My wife has anxiety. For many years we did not know, but looking back I was making it worse even though I wasn't the root. My approach to her was always how I'd talk to my guy friends if they were doing similar things or I was having similar issues with them. I didn't realize since the day I meet her she's had anxiety (and either did she) and it kept slowly getting worse until it hit a serious point. Made us both re-evaluate how we handle each other.. But nothing is fixed over night and a lot of mental health issues are like a recovering addict, they will always be dealing with it.

I've been fine with covid as it hasn't really affected my day to day personal life, and I'm happy not being around ppl.. My wife's anixety can be quite bad due to every covid issue..

I don't feel like I have any mental health issues, except anger... I think its quite common in men, but anything that might cause depression/anxiety in myself, just digests in me and comes out as anger. Once I vent that anger, I'm good. But this is a poor plan when your wife has clinical anxiety lol.. Learning to adapt.. And just as important, we are learning to recongnize cues, early signs, how to deal with stuff before it turns to anxiety for her and anger for me.

I know LOTS of people right now who appear fine, but they are struggling like you'd never imagine to pay bills, feed kids, put gas in car etc.... I don't think anything is more likely to make a man think about suicide than facing the facts that they can not feed/cloth their family..

Hi @Bagua - I didn't read this at first because it said Bell and I would like to kick that company in the nuts. Good thread, I have no idea what depression or anxiety is like but I have watched it in some people in my family and it is completely debilitating. Out on a date and the family member who has it has to rush to out house to lay down in a dark room and practice breathing and take an ativan. We try to help and talk but it has to be when they are ready. Two people in my family suffer from anxiety and it is no different than any other serious disease.

I second your comments Bagua, if someone wants to talk I am all ears albeit I am not trained like Bagua is. I know some pretty tough people in other provinces that are on these forums who openly admit they are depressed. We are blessed in this Province as Covid really hasn't had a major impact and life is pretty normal. To those who don't have that and have curfews, rules, restrictions, etc. it really sucks and my heart goes out to you if you are struggling.

Great thread Bagua.