Bands and Chains ... your experiences?

I started using bands when the gyms closed. For high rep work, they are awesome. Gyms open now but I'm still using bands for rear delts, side delts, and triceps, as I get a great stimulus using them. I feel its a great method to use in order to switch things up from weights all the time, for getting extra volume.
I've never actually tried using chains.

Reactions: PGM
I went through a phase of using bands on bench & squats. Also rig them up to hammer strength presses.

I use bands when using my hack squat machine lowers the weight a bit with my knee in full bent position but about half way up the bands do nothing from there on out.

chains I’ll use occasionally on bench but not that often.

I find they are helpful but a bit of a pain to setup sometimes. I used a daisy chain rock climbing set up for all my band and chain work that way I can adjust them for them to increase or decrease stress at the point I want them to.

I started using bands when the gyms closed. For high rep work, they are awesome. Gyms open now but I'm still using bands for rear delts, side delts, and triceps, as I get a great stimulus using them. I feel its a great method to use in order to switch things up from weights all the time, for getting extra volume.
I've never actually tried using chains.
Bands I like better than chains and yes they are great to increase the tension over what ever portion of the lift you want to make them start tightening. I have used them for speed work on the bench squat and deadlift, lowering bar weight significantly and adding stronger bands and start them tightening about quarter way up with 75% of the the total weight/tension at the top. I have also wrapped bands around just about everything. For laterals I just put them under my feet and do a hand wrap around to keep the band tight in my hand. For press downs for triceps I wrap a band around my neck and tighten the band by how many times I wrap the band around each hand, grab the press down bar and press it down, the bands get real tight and your triceps just pop. Sometimes I will throw the bands off after a set then just do regular push downs right after going to failure. They really do spice up the lifting. I have a band deadlift platform ( which can be built real easy ) that have really helped my deadlifts from the knee up, my weakest point. Good to hear a lot of ppl are training with them. Very few train with them at goodlife Saint John NB ( I would say almost none).

Added a pic of a deadlift platform. Very easy to set up bands.

Attachments

• dead_bands_resize.jpg
    dead_bands_resize.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Bands I like better than chains and yes they are great to increase the tension over what ever portion of the lift you want to make them start tightening. I have used them for speed work on the bench squat and deadlift, lowering bar weight significantly and adding stronger bands and start them tightening about quarter way up with 75% of the the total weight/tension at the top. I have also wrapped bands around just about everything. For laterals I just put them under my feet and do a hand wrap around to keep the band tight in my hand. For press downs for triceps I wrap a band around my neck and tighten the band by how many times I wrap the band around each hand, grab the press down bar and press it down, the bands get real tight and your triceps just pop. Sometimes I will throw the bands off after a set then just do regular push downs right after going to failure. They really do spice up the lifting. I have a band deadlift platform ( which can be built real easy ) that have really helped my deadlifts from the knee up, my weakest point. Good to hear a lot of ppl are training with them. Very few train with them at goodlife Saint John NB ( I would say almost none).

I only see people using bands for stretching at my Goodlife

I know this isn't the specific use you're asking about but I've incorporated bands into my training since this COVID shit and I couldn't imagine training without them, even since adding all my free weights, power rack, two multi gyms I still use my bands daily. I absolutely love the constant tension, contraction, ease on joints and the variance of bands getting harder at the bottom of the movement vs say cables.....massive fan of bands.

I only see people using bands for stretching at my Goodlife
yeah I know. They are good for stretching as I use them for that myself, but they can be used for so much more but no one does. I have had people walk by and stare at me when I am wrapping bands around each end of the bench press bench at the bottom and around the bar. Very few come up and ask me why I am doing what I am doing. When ever I see someone doing something I have not done and it looks like it might help me, I go up to them and ask them about what they are doing and what are the benefits.

I learned how to use them for recovery from injury. For example, I have AC joint (ear and tear) issue on my left side. What I do (what I've been taught) is to put a band on the injured side. Either I use a band to keep my elbows tight, or I will place a band over one end of the bar, looping other end on the bench platform band peg. I do this with very little weight as it's all about maintaining strict form and strengthening the stabilizers. It's a great recovery movement.

Bands are great for hip adductor and abductor work. Some times I will use a band just below my knees while doing deadlifts, again to keep things tight as I have an imbalance, and don't want to permit any distortion of form. I will use the heavy thick green bands for shoulder stretches/scapula work.

Loved using chains on dips.

I learned how to use them for recovery from injury. For example, I have AC joint (ear and tear) issue on my left side. What I do (what I've been taught) is to put a band on the injured side. Either I use a band to keep my elbows tight, or I will place a band over one end of the bar, looping other end on the bench platform band peg. I do this with very little weight as it's all about maintaining strict form and strengthening the stabilizers. It's a great recovery movement.

Bands are great for hip adductor and abductor work. Some times I will use a band just below my knees while doing deadlifts, again to keep things tight as I have an imbalance, and don't want to permit any distortion of form. I will use the heavy thick green bands for shoulder stretches/scapula work.

Weighted dips are one of my go-2's. I really do want to try with chains instead of belt and plates. Just throwing a 3/8'' chain over your neck probably just gives a mental boost and aggression haha!

Weighted dips are one of my go-2's. I really do want to try with chains instead of belt and plates. Just throwing a 3/8'' chain over your neck probably just gives a mental boost and aggression haha!

I hooked them to a belt. They used to be one of my fave's as well. We have three 50lbs lengths. I would either start with a portion on the ground, and work to full extension, or begin with the entire load right away. Not sure about wrapping them around your neck. Not only are they filthy, but I can't see it being very comfortable. That a lot of weight on the back of your neck. With heavy dips I don't want the load affecting my form.

Sounds great. Looks like you have thought a lot on how bands fit your goals. I have not used chains on dips ... good comment .. I will try that cause I have dangling weight from a belt between my legs. I think I remember Branch Warren using them for dips.

I hooked them to a belt. They used to be one of my fave's as well. We have three 50lbs lengths. I would either start with a portion on the ground, and work to full extension, or begin with the entire load right away. Not sure about wrapping them around your neck. Not only are they filthy, but I can't see it being very comfortable. That a lot of weight on the back of your neck. With heavy dips I don't want the load affecting my form.
I bring my own bands to goodlife so they are not to dirty ... and its my dirt so I am ok with that. Wrapping them around the back of the neck is not too bad and you only go as tight as is comfortable and increase the load on the press down machine. I have never used bands for dips ... but I will give it a try and see how it works... thanks

Chains are quite expensive to get a little bit of weight going. That is why I always used the weighted dip belt. But my wife works for a tug boat company so they have to have some old chain around some of the docks.

I know this isn't the specific use you're asking about but I've incorporated bands into my training since this COVID shit and I couldn't imagine training without them, even since adding all my free weights, power rack, two multi gyms I still use my bands daily. I absolutely love the constant tension, contraction, ease on joints and the variance of bands getting harder at the bottom of the movement vs say cables.....massive fan of bands.
totally agree. I use them every workout for something or another

I bring my own bands to goodlife so they are not to dirty ... and its my dirt so I am ok with that. Wrapping them around the back of the neck is not too bad and you only go as tight as is comfortable and increase the load on the press down machine. I have never used bands for dips ... but I will give it a try and see how it works... thanks
I was only referring to chains. I have never used bands for dips, not sure how well that would work. I've seen them used to provide assistance for those who were unable to do chin-ups, but never any use on dips.

I was only referring to chains. I have never used bands for dips, not sure how well that would work. I've seen them used to provide assistance for those who were unable to do chin-ups, but never any use on dips.
If u can wrap the bands around equipment there is probably a way to do banded dips. I am going to try the dips with chains as I have not tried that before.

I like chains far better .You can hook them to a neck harness as well.

I used both . Love chains for bench and squats .. unfortunately the Gym I go too doesn’t allow chains .idiots

Bands take some effort to set up and jig but work really well.
Used mainly on hammer strength machines hooked around frame . Created nice tension .
Certain racks have spots for bands to hook up too which makes it easier for squats.
Solo work with bands I have incorporated into workout with gyms not open yet