arms going numb when I sleep

I have a top of the line mattress. Onced I changed to this memory foam top (well its something else that similar but fancier) My issues greatly reduced and almost went away.
That combined with regular deep tissue massage.
Only time it hurts now is because of training, and my hands don’t fall asleep anymore.
Actually now that I think about it, since I started to use massage on a regular basis, my hands don’t fall asleep while I play video games either.

I have a top of the line mattress. Onced I changed to this memory foam top (well its something else that similar but fancier) My issues greatly reduced and almost went away.
That combined with regular deep tissue massage.
Only time it hurts now is because of training, and my hands don’t fall asleep anymore.
Actually now that I think about it, since I started to use massage on a regular basis, my hands don’t fall asleep while I play video games either.
what brand of mattress?

what brand of mattress?
Kingsford, I believe I paid like 5 grand for it though, just the mattress. It was the top of the line.
You can sleep on your back without a pillow and the bed forms around you. I use a flat feather pillow that I fluff up so it surrounds my head.
Then I also use another longer a bit skinnier firm pillow to put between my arms if I sleep on my side.
When the trapped nerve was bad, snuggling a pillow between my arms was a lifesaver.
I find if I want a better sleep on my back, I have 2 pillows behind my head, upper back to prop me up a bit. I don’t snore near as much then.

Kingsford, I believe I paid like 5 grand for it though, just the mattress. It was the top of the line.
You can sleep on your back without a pillow and the bed forms around you. I use a flat feather pillow that I fluff up so it surrounds my head.
Then I also use another longer a bit skinnier firm pillow to put between my arms if I sleep on my side.
When the trapped nerve was bad, snuggling a pillow between my arms was a lifesaver.
I find if I want a better sleep on my back, I have 2 pillows behind my head, upper back to prop me up a bit. I don’t snore near as much then.
holy 5k!! That would be a hard pill to swallow, but if it helped its worth it.

That was back in my, let’s spend money to feel good about working too many hours days, lol.
Now I’m cheap, gotta save for my Mexico retirement, lol.

You know I've never had a massage... wife has been trying to get me to go for the last 10 years.. I get one free massage a month with my health plan.. Just can't get over the touchy touchy...

Then I watch video's on youtube with old retired lifters/fighters and see how a true deep tissue massage works.. Then I want one.. Then I think about laying on a table nearly naked with an unknown person rubbing me.. Then I don't want it..

You know I've never had a massage... wife has been trying to get me to go for the last 10 years.. I get one free massage a month with my health plan.. Just can't get over the touchy touchy...

Then I watch video's on youtube with old retired lifters/fighters and see how a true deep tissue massage works.. Then I want one.. Then I think about laying on a table nearly naked with an unknown person rubbing me.. Then I don't want it..
You are missing out. It wasn’t until I did deep tissue before all my issues went away. Physio, chiro and at home stretching just doesn’t get in there the same way.

btw, at the start you won’t be thinking, oooh someone is rubbing me, you’ll be thinking, holy fuck this hurts like fucking hell.
‘Then once the muscke starts to become unknotted you won’t get pain, but it’s not like a massage your wife does. They use their elbows, palms thumbs locked and torture you.

the first time she ground thru my pecs, I almost tapped out, I had not had pain like that for the length of time as she pushed ever before. I almost asked her to stop, but kept saying, I’ll wait, maybe in a second it will get better, it didn’t but I kept putting off asking her to stop by think this.

Trust me you’ll be so happy.

At first go every two weeks for 6 months, pay for the extra, onice a month with stretching at home will work, but at the start, every two weeks, or weekly.

‘’I went weekly for 3 months then every 2 weeks for a year, now once a month.

good ones will be booked months in advance. Ask if they strip thru the length of the muscle or use trigger points. You want one that strips thru the muscle.

Just trust me on this,. You will thank me later. Key is to go often enough. No one ever does then they say it wasn’t worth it. Remember your muscles have been knotted for years, it takes time to train them.

One of the things my chiro asked me when I first started with him is do my arms go numb when I sleep. At the time I was going in for muscle knots in my arm and some shoulder pain.

At the time, without giving it much thought I told him occasioanlly I wake up with numb arms but i didn't think it was bad.

I've been paying attention lately when I wake up and for the most part, whatever side I woke up on has a numb arm. So if I wake up laying on my left side, my left arm is numb/tingly.

Chiro said if this is happening than my issues coudl be made worse by not getting proper currculation while I sleep.

Anyone else have this issue?

Chiro said sleeping on the back is without a doubt the healthiest...
I've never been able to sleep on my back. I can only really sleep on my side.

Anyone have luck training themselves to sleep on their back?
This was happening to me. Typically my left arm to the point i would have to grab it with my other hand to move my arm. I was concerned but doctor told me its because my arms were big. Moron. About a year later, still happening, was falling asleep mid day. Sleep test showed severe case of sleep apnea. Over 60 times per hour for ten seconds or more each time no breathing. I mentioned the arm numbness and they said i was likely close to a heart attack. Sent me for testing and heart looked ok. After i got my cpap and was used to it and could wear all night, my arm stopped going numb. Been over 4 years now.

You are missing out. It wasn’t until I did deep tissue before all my issues went away. Physio, chiro and at home stretching just doesn’t get in there the same way.

btw, at the start you won’t be thinking, oooh someone is rubbing me, you’ll be thinking, holy fuck this hurts like fucking hell.
‘Then once the muscke starts to become unknotted you won’t get pain, but it’s not like a massage your wife does. They use their elbows, palms thumbs locked and torture you.

the first time she ground thru my pecs, I almost tapped out, I had not had pain like that for the length of time as she pushed ever before. I almost asked her to stop, but kept saying, I’ll wait, maybe in a second it will get better, it didn’t but I kept putting off asking her to stop by think this.

Trust me you’ll be so happy.

At first go every two weeks for 6 months, pay for the extra, onice a month with stretching at home will work, but at the start, every two weeks, or weekly.

‘’I went weekly for 3 months then every 2 weeks for a year, now once a month.

good ones will be booked months in advance. Ask if they strip thru the length of the muscle or use trigger points. You want one that strips thru the muscle.

Just trust me on this,. You will thank me later. Key is to go often enough. No one ever does then they say it wasn’t worth it. Remember your muscles have been knotted for years, it takes time to train them.
Dammit.. I'll try it.. I'll have to force myself to do it.

I worked out tonight, chest/shoulders/tri's.. but I could feel my back was knotted up and I had a odd pain between my shoulder blades.. I laid on the floor in the door frame of the bedroom and got my wife to stand on my back and use her heels to kneed my back.. it helped.

This was happening to me. Typically my left arm to the point i would have to grab it with my other hand to move my arm. I was concerned but doctor told me its because my arms were big. Moron. About a year later, still happening, was falling asleep mid day. Sleep test showed severe case of sleep apnea. Over 60 times per hour for ten seconds or more each time no breathing. I mentioned the arm numbness and they said i was likely close to a heart attack. Sent me for testing and heart looked ok. After i got my cpap and was used to it and could wear all night, my arm stopped going numb. Been over 4 years now.

Thnaks.. even more push for me to get checked for it..

What other signs/suymtooms of sleep apnea did you have?

Massage has been a life saver for me as well. My left shoulder has been a mess for years not having the ability to put my arm fully vertical. Within a few sessions with my new guy that actually gets in there deep I have 99% of my ROM back.

honestly I find the regular massage places massage Addict etc don’t go deep enough. Yes having scraping and cupping and deep massage is painful at times but I’ve found it has been a game changer.

knock on wood since I’ve been going regularly I haven’t had my back go out or near the pain in my neck

Was falling asleep behind the wheel. Put a customers $100,000 truck off the road during a road test cause fell asleep mid day. Lol. No damage. Woke up when bouncing accross the grass. wife noticed i wasnt breathing at night and started keeping an eye on me waking me. Was long periods. Just tired and cranky mostly. Now I wont gonsleep without it. I love it. Life changing.

In AB we dont need Dr referral. I went to sleep clinic and paid $100 to rent test equipment.
Submitted to insurance and they reimbursed. I almost sued my doctors office. Owner of clinic he worked for was not impressed.maybe that how i got my trt script so easy during cruise on ugl?

In AB we dont need Dr referral. I went to sleep clinic and paid $100 to rent test equipment.
Submitted to insurance and they reimbursed. I almost sued my doctors office. Owner of clinic he worked for was not impressed.maybe that how i got my trt script so easy during cruise on ugl?

I have none of the other symptoms you listed.. Sorry, was a bit funny reading you put a 100k truck off the road because you fell asleep lol..

I used to be dead tire all day everyday.. like fall asleep eating dinner sitting up on the dinning room chair a few times a week. Doctor suggested sleep appnea, but then another docotr figured out my hormones were all fucked up.. thyroid, testosterone and I never had those symtpoms again. So I didn't put anymore throught into sleep appnea

I have none of the other symptoms you listed.. Sorry, was a bit funny reading you put a 100k truck off the road because you fell asleep lol..

I used to be dead tire all day everyday.. like fall asleep eating dinner sitting up on the dinning room chair a few times a week. Doctor suggested sleep appnea, but then another docotr figured out my hormones were all fucked up.. thyroid, testosterone and I never had those symtpoms again. So I didn't put anymore throught into sleep appnea
Its ok. I was t hurt and truck was fine.
I laughed too with my buddy when got back to shop and told him.

I don't know. When my massage therapist massages my delts, she keeps saying how surprised she is that my arms and hands don't go numb more often due to how tight my delts are pressing on a nerve. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the nerve. When she massages my forearm, sometimes it's so tight, the numbness shoots right into my hand. Freaks me out! I've been trying to stretch my delts/pecs/shoulders/forearms, and notice less numbing at night from https://buy.fineproxy.org/eng/uk-england-proxy.html. The numbness can get bad enough to wake me up in the middle of the night at times. I don't notice it during the day.

Last edited:
I get arms falling asleep when I'm retaining fluid. I end up sleeping like a zombie 2ith my arms straight but on my side with big pillows between. That solves the problem.

@animal-inside
thats your chiros opinion but it isnt true. pros and cons to all sleeping positions. majority of people are side sleepers. from studies of tribal people and anthropologists say side position is probably the most natural position.

back sleeping can induce breathing problems and lower back issues.

changing sleep position is really hard. you probably will have to get different pillows to get comfortable and raising you knees will be more comfortable be easier on your back and prevent you from rolling on your side. will give you an excuse to buy on of those sex wedges.
I found this video pretty informative and supports your suggestion that our ancestors and tribal people sleep on their side.
I personally prefer to sleep on my back and usually fall asleep in this position. But I always wake up on my side. I'm also a hot sleeper and I move around to the cool spots.
I recently bought a Silk and Snow mattress in a box (picked it over the well reviewed Douglas). Coming off a $4000 Kingsdown mattress for almost 10 years that should have been replaced 3 years ago. It was pretty clapped out form my 100kg body and I felt like I was sleeping in a slung hammock position by the end. The Kingsdown was very soft and comfortable but didn't offer the support I apparently needed. I was skeptical about mattress in a box, especially at a 1/4 of the price of my Kingsdown. This firm Silk & Snow has been amazing after the first 3 nights of getting used to it. Now I've noticed I wake up only once during the night instead of twice prior and my back pain ( in the morning and in general) is completely gone now after using it for 21 days. I wake up feeling more rested and recovered. I would highly recommend it for you big swole bois.