Anyone here try rabbit/hare?

animal-inside

Trusted Member
Just curious if anyone's tried it here.

I've eaten snowshoe hare every winter for quite a few years.

Tried strews, slow cooked over a fire, KFC coating and deep fried etc..

without a doubt the snowshoe hare stew recipe I use is very very good. I had to try a few recipes and tweek them until I got it the way I like it.

LAst winter I made two BIG slow cookers worth of my strew with 4 hares in each slow cooked. It was tried by about 28 ppl. I would say only 2 didn't REALLY like it and that was due to the mushroom soup base I used.. Both slow cookers were literally licked clean.

I mention this because I just took my son out to set some snares for snowshoe hare and we got 3 tonight. Making my kids my stew for the first time ever.. One kid is EXTREMLY picky eater, the other would eat the table leg if we let him.

I've had rabbits before, but not sure of what type. I was waitering at a Greek restaurant (in my younger years) and we had a rabbit stew on the menu. It was great. Butchers like chicken.

I have been wanting to try rabbit.
My yard (at lake) is loaded with them daily.
Watched a bunch of videos with different ways to cook them, just havent “pulled the trigger” yet.

I haven’t eaten rabbit in a long time, but my brother and I would regularly snare or shoot rabbits when we were young, either cooking them up over a fire back in the bush or we’d bring them home and mom would make stew out of them.
Rabbit stew is awesome!

Use to snare them alot when I was a kid. But gave them all to the neighbor. I hate the taste of them...lol. meat pies weren't too bad. I ate one of them big fuckers that are around Calgary. I call them jackrabbits. Probably one of the most disgusting things ive ever tried..lol

Just curious if anyone's tried it here.

I've eaten snowshoe hare every winter for quite a few years.

Tried strews, slow cooked over a fire, KFC coating and deep fried etc..

without a doubt the snowshoe hare stew recipe I use is very very good. I had to try a few recipes and tweek them until I got it the way I like it.

LAst winter I made two BIG slow cookers worth of my strew with 4 hares in each slow cooked. It was tried by about 28 ppl. I would say only 2 didn't REALLY like it and that was due to the mushroom soup base I used.. Both slow cookers were literally licked clean.
What do you do with the fur?

Use to snare them alot when I was a kid. But gave them all to the neighbor. I hate the taste of them...lol. meat pies weren't too bad. I ate one of them big fuckers that are around Calgary. I call them jackrabbits. Probably one of the most disgusting things ive ever tried..lol
Jack rabbit, lol,
The rabbit a cat won’t fuck with lol

It's deffinitly game you need to prepare with a bit of caution. If you just try to cook it like say chicken, its rubber.

I always soak the hares in buttermilk or milk for 24 hours. Helps draw out blood, bad tastes and tenderizes. Buttermilk is best for tenderizing.

Then slow cook them.

I've never eaten a true rabbit, only snowshoe hare. Very different though to my understanding. Snowshow hare is very dark meat, rabbit looks like chicken.

It's deffinitly game you need to prepare with a bit of caution. If you just try to cook it like say chicken, its rubber.

I always soak the hares in buttermilk or milk for 24 hours. Helps draw out blood, bad tastes and tenderizes. Buttermilk is best for tenderizing.

Then slow cook them.

I've never eaten a true rabbit, only snowshoe hare. Very different though to my understanding. Snowshow hare is very dark meat, rabbit looks like chicken.
I’ve smoked likely 40 rabbits for customers.
It helps to tenderize them a bit soaking them in the brine.

I’ve smoked likely 40 rabbits for customers.
It helps to tenderize them a bit soaking them in the brine.
Just a regular salt/water brine? I've been trying to get some hares recently and wanted to try smoking them or making a stew

Just a regular salt/water brine? I've been trying to get some hares recently and wanted to try smoking them or making a stew

I think I set out 11 snares 3 days ago.. Got 7 hares.

Fairly easy to snare hare. Find think dense spruce bush.. walk down an opening/trail.. Set snares on beaten down hare trails.

Use pickling salt. Not sure if it’s different than sea salt.

Lots of different recipes online.

I usually do one cup of salt to 4 litres of water.