Anybody do any density type training?

Jaggard

I’m thinking of doing an eight week cycle of old school density training for cutting. Like a Gironda 8 sets of 8 reps full body workout with a few other 4x8 isolation workouts for whatever body part needs it. 20-30 second rest between sets. I know to finish in that time you need to drop your normal weight range, so a lot of people don’t even try. Just wondering if anyone has done a full cycle of this type of training and what you think.

Never tried it so I'll start by saying I'm a bit biased towards DC/lower volume style training where maximizing strength in the given rep range is the focus.
But regardless of that, my two cents: I like including some "density" type work at the end of a session where I'm just trying to accumulate volume in a short period of time while not affecting my main lifts. The Gironda 8x8 approach may be beneficial towards cutting as it's probably gonna boost the calorie expenditure of your sessions and improve CV fitness. Although it wouldn't be MY preferred method of training (as the saying goes, I think what built your muscle is what's gonna keep it) - so long as you're progressing week-to-week (or at least maintaining, idk what your training age or natty status is) within the 8x8 approach I don't see much harm. Worth a shot at least to see how you respond but I'd personally be hesitant to keep it going if you notice a significant performance decrement after the initial adjustment period as I think preventing a drop in strength is one of the key variables in maintaining muscle in a deficit. Worst case scenario imo you find it's not for you and you got to try some new style of training for a change of pace

Yeah loss of strength is a concern but I’m not natty so I’m hoping once I’m conditioned I can bring weight numbers up at these rep ranges