Answer these simple BodyBuilding Lifting Questions ... and others.

PGM

Trusted Member
approx. age?
Which do you like working best upper or lower body?
What's your favorite exercise?
Whats your worst exercise?
How long do you lift approx each session?
How many times a week?
Do you lift fast with little rest between sets or slower with more rest?
Do you do high reps or Low?
Do you lift lighter weights for reps or moderately heavy to heavy weight?
Do you do many of forced reps?
Do you do many rest pause sets?
Do people at gym ask you many questions about your lifting?
Do you have a set routine when you walk into the gym or do you play it by ear?
Have you ever competed?
Do you lift because you love to lift or cause you like the way it makes you look?
Other?

ME

approx. age 62
Which do you like working best upper or lower body - lower
What's your favorite exercise -deadlift
Whats your least fav exercise - Bench press or any chest exercise
How long do you lift approx each session - 30 min
How many times a week - 4-5 times
Do you lift fast with little rest between sets or slower with more rest - fast
Do you do high reps or Low - high now low when younger
Do you lift lighter weights for reps or moderately heavy to heavy weight -light for reps now slower with more rest heavier weight
Do you do many of forced reps - not anymore much ... when younger last 2 sets of each exercise
Do you do many rest pause sets - still do this ... when younger I did it a lot for certain exercises
Do people at gym ask you many questions about your lifting - not now ... when younger a lot as i was very intense when I lifted and weights I used were relatively heavy, Younger kids always asked me if I was a juicer... I said I ate my wheaties every morning lol
Do you have a set routine when you walk into the gym or do you play it by ear - I new what area of body I wanted to do and just picked exercises as I went along. A lot of times certain machines or racks were not open so I would look for what was available and do that.
Have you ever competed - Yes ... 3 times, awesome learning experience the dieting the hard lifting, the cardio, the gear and hitting the timing right on... very challenging ... hate posing.
Do you lift because you love to lift or cause you like the way it makes you look - I would say both but more the first, each time I went in I picked the exercises I liked and that I thought would give me more strength... and I went hard at it. After workout, the endorphin rush and the exhaustion were great
Other - as I have aged I have had to reduce my weight so now I do a high rep light weights each set to failure... about 25 reps. I don't do this with deads or squats ... always less than 10 reps for these and a lot of sets

approx. age? 62
Which do you like working best upper or lower body? lower
What's your favorite exercise? Squats
Whats your worst exercise? any pressing motion
How long do you lift approx each session? 1 hour for the largest muscle IE: chest. I may throw in 20 minutes on supporting smaller muscle groups IE: Tricep/delts`.
How many times a week? 4-6
Do you lift fast with little rest between sets or slower with more rest? Concentric 1 second 3-5 Eccentric rep. Less rest
Do you do high reps or Low? Mostly high now a days, 15-25.
Do you lift lighter weights for reps or moderately heavy to heavy weight? Lighter than I have in the past.
Do you do many of forced reps? Off season I might throw in a few sets if I have a reliable spotter
Do you do many rest pause sets? Pretty often yes.
Do people at gym ask you many questions about your lifting? Yes, more often when I am training insanely with almost no rest.
Do you have a set routine when you walk into the gym or do you play it by ear? My set routine is fluid. I have a group of exercises that I know are going to work. I'll play it by ear based on availability.
Have you ever competed? Only powerlifting a few times. I did ok I won a pair of trophies. Never bodybuilding but want to try. I took a run last year at trying to do a serious prep diet. I fell far short of the mark but learned a lot. Enough to feel confident enough to try again. Practice, practice!
Do you lift because you love to lift or cause you like the way it makes you look?
Other? I fucking love it. Also, a serious accident left me with challenges and training is the best medicine. I like how I feel. I cannot control how other people see me so appearance is of small consequence. Balding, in my early 60's. I am 5'6' facial scars, broken nose apparent. Meh! Life is fucking awesome! Girls love me for some reason. Its attitude not looks in my book.

Last edited:
approx. age? 62
Which do you like working best upper or lower body? lower
What's your favorite exercise? Squats
Whats your worst exercise? any pressing motion
How long do you lift approx each session? 1 hour for the largest muscle IE: chest. I may throw in 20 minutes on supporting smaller muscle groups IE: Tricep/delts`.
How many times a week? 4-6
Do you lift fast with little rest between sets or slower with more rest? Concentric 1 second 3-5 Eccentric rep. Less rest
Do you do high reps or Low? Mostly high now a days, 15-25.
Do you lift lighter weights for reps or moderately heavy to heavy weight? Lighter than I have in the past.
Do you do many of forced reps? Off season I might throw in a few sets if I have a reliable spotter
Do you do many rest pause sets? Pretty often yes.
Do people at gym ask you many questions about your lifting? Yes, more often when I am training insanely with almost no rest.
Do you have a set routine when you walk into the gym or do you play it by ear? My set routine is fluid. I have a group of exercises that I know are going to work. I'll play it by ear based on availability.
Have you ever competed? Only powerlifting a few times. I did ok I won a pair of trophies. Never bodybuilding but want to try. I took a run last year at trying to do a serious prep diet. I fell far short of the mark but learned a lot. Enough to feel confident enough to try again. Practice, practice!
Other? I fucking love it. Also, a serious accident left me with challenges and training is the best medicine. I like how I feel. I cannot control how other people see me so appearance is of small consequence. Balding, in my early 60's. I am 5'6' facial scars, broken nose apparent. Meh! Life is fucking awesome! Girls love me for some reason. Its attitude not looks in my book.
A lot of our training and mental approach is the same. The powerlifting was fun for me as well... I was normally training for powerlifting meets. I did about 10 meets... they were fun

approx. age? 40

Which do you like working best upper or lower body? Upper

What's your favorite exercise? DB bench (its fun)

Whats your worst exercise? Deadlifts (bad back)

How long do you lift approx each session? 45 min to 1 hour or so. Sometimes longer if I'm feeling it.

How many times a week? 5

Do you lift fast with little rest between sets or slower with more rest? 30 sec to 1 min or so between sets. 2 to 3 min for squats.

Do you do high reps or Low? Both depending on the goal.

Do you lift lighter weights for reps or moderately heavy to heavy weight? Both. Favoring lighter these days due to past injuries.

Do you do many of forced reps? When possible.

Do you do many rest pause sets? Not really.

Do people at gym ask you many questions about your lifting? Nobody ever talks to me when I do go to a gym. Since Covid my little home gym is dialed in to what I need so doubt I'll ever go to a local gym again. When I travel I'll hit a gym.

Do you have a set routine when you walk into the gym or do you play it by ear? Set routine in mind as a general guideline but I always mix it up to surprise some part of my body

Have you ever competed? No

Do you lift because you love to lift or cause you like the way it makes you look? I lift for fun, physical activity, personal challenge, discipline, longevity and so on.

Other:
What time do you work out? Early AM by necessity.

approx. age 36
Which do you like working best upper or lower body - upper
What's your favorite exercise -weighted dips
Whats your least fav exercise - calves
How long do you lift approx each session - 30-40 min
Do you lift fast with little rest between sets or slower with more rest - both
Do you lift lighter weights for reps or moderately heavy to heavy weight -as heavy as possible in the 14+ rep range
Do you do many of forced reps - not much
Do you do many rest pause sets - no
Do people at gym ask you many questions about your lifting - no, i workout at home, i look angry at the gym and dont take my headphones out or turn them down
Do you have a set routine when you walk into the gym or do you play it by ear - play it by ear in a commercial gym depending what machines arw available
Have you ever competed - No, Im waiting untill I hit 40
Do you lift because you love to lift or cause you like the way it makes you look - Both

approx. age? 49 almost 50
Which do you like working best upper or lower body? It was upper body, but now that I’ve gotten into the groove, legs
What's your favorite exercise? Barbel curls
Whats your worst exercise? Bench presses
How long do you lift approx each session? I start out quick, then slow towards the end if I start bsing on Facebook, lol. Likeky 1.5 hrs
How many times a week? 7 days, I only take time off if I’m having beer, or I’m bagged
Do you lift fast with little rest between sets or slower with more rest? Slower and more time
Do you do high reps or Low? 10 reps is usually what I aim for, no less than 8
Do you lift lighter weights for reps or moderately heavy to heavy weight? As heavy as I can to do my reps
Do you do many of forced reps? Cant I train alone.
Do you do many rest pause sets? Every set.
Do people at gym ask you many questions about your lifting? I train at home, but customers ask me, staff ask me. The fat customers ask me how I stay lean, I tell them and they ask if there is some trick, lol.
Do you have a set routine when you walk into the gym or do you play it by ear? I have used the exact same exercise routine for like 2 years now. I might mix it up a bit, but most of the time, same exercises same order.
Have you ever competed? Nope, but if I had a friend that was, I’d join him.
Do you lift because you love to lift or cause you like the way it makes you look? I lift mainly to look good. But it really helps to be strong to do my job.
Other?

Reactions: PGM
I noticed you said you used rest pause a lot, ... I have to admit that was my fav to get to failure, rest pause a bit for very short while ...5 - 10 secs and lower weight or keep it the same and drive out a few more.... I use to do this for 2-3 rest pauses and on last 2 sets of most exercises. Haha I never train the next day if I am hung over either... no sense of it.

approx. age 36
Which do you like working best upper or lower body - upper
What's your favorite exercise -weighted dips
Whats your least fav exercise - calves
How long do you lift approx each session - 30-40 min
Do you lift fast with little rest between sets or slower with more rest - both
Do you lift lighter weights for reps or moderately heavy to heavy weight -as heavy as possible in the 14+ rep range
Do you do many of forced reps - not much
Do you do many rest pause sets - no
Do people at gym ask you many questions about your lifting - no, i workout at home, i look angry at the gym and dont take my headphones out or turn them down
Do you have a set routine when you walk into the gym or do you play it by ear - play it by ear in a commercial gym depending what machines arw available
Have you ever competed - No, Im waiting untill I hit 40
Do you lift because you love to lift or cause you like the way it makes you look - Both
I look super pissed when I use to train heavy and very intense. I would pace back and forth muttering curse words lowly when I was trying a heavy...lol. I have done heavhy weighted dips a lot and they help your BP a lot. Used to do negative on these... put 5 to six 45's on chain. Put a box ( made of 2x4) in the dip rack. Stand on it jump up a bit to get arms straightened, then negative it down. Fuck that hurt but felt good.

I noticed you said you used rest pause a lot, ... I have to admit that was my fav to get to failure, rest pause a bit for very short while ...5 - 10 secs and lower weight or keep it the same and drive out a few more.... I use to do this for 2-3 rest pauses and on last 2 sets of most exercises. Haha I never train the next day if I am hung over either... no sense of it.
Only time I usually pull a muscle is hung over. I believe your water balance is screwed up. So I don’t like risking it. Now when I was in my 20’s my training partner would force me Lol.
Rest pause on legs, feels like you could never stop. Damn the legs recover fast.

approx. age? 31
What's your favorite exercise? Weighted Dips
Whats your worst exercise? Squats (Fuck my shoulder girdle)
How long do you lift approx each session? 1.5hr's
How many times a week? 5-6
Do you lift fast with little rest between sets or slower with more rest? Both
Do you do high reps or Low? Mostly high reps
Do you lift lighter weights for reps or moderately heavy to heavy weight? Usually light and high reps / moderate
Do you do many of forced reps? No
Do you do many rest pause sets? Sometimes
Do people at gym ask you many questions about your lifting? Sometimes yes
Do you have a set routine when you walk into the gym or do you play it by ear? Usually have a set game plan, with a backup plan if station is busy.
Other? Both

age? 35

What's your favorite exercise? Deadlift

Whats your worst exercise? Squats

How long do you lift approx each session?45-75 min

How many times a week?4-7

Do you lift fast with little rest between sets or slower with more rest? I tend to lean on the faster less rest side of things, depends on the kind of training I’m focusing on in the end

Do you do high reps or Low? Mostly high reps 10ish range

Do you lift lighter weights for reps or moderately heavy to heavy weight? Moderately heavy weights for reps

Do you do many of forced reps? When the opportunity for a spotter is there. I’ve been a little cocky recently and been saved by the spotter bar a couple times, thankfully in my home gym to save the embarrassment!

Do you do many rest pause sets? Rarely

Do people at gym ask you many questions about your lifting? I found when I was leaner like sub 10% bf I was getting lots of questions. I’m bigger now, but less questions at the gym… much more frequently questioned at work by coworkers and subcontractors and delivery drivers

Do you have a set routine when you walk into the gym or do you play it by ear? More often than not a set routine/program with the flexibility to modify based on what equipment is available

Have you ever competed? Almost.. but as I got below 8% bf I felt like crap and didn’t want to obsess over every possible imperfection I might have. Also hated practicing posing. Excuses, but those are mine, hah.

Do you lift because you love to lift or cause you like the way it makes you look? 40% looks, 30% therapeutic factor (love of lifting), 30% general health and well being

Other?

approx. age? 35
What's your favorite exercise? Before it was deadlift, now i prefer my hex bar
Whats your worst exercise? Leg curl
How long do you lift approx each session? Between 30min and 1 hour
How many times a week? 4
Do you lift fast with little rest between sets or slower with more rest? Have to use longer rest period now
Do you do high reps or Low? Depends normally high reps but i'm trying to get some of my strength back so i do some low reps exercice every now and then
Do you lift lighter weights for reps or moderately heavy to heavy weight? Light weight since i lost a lot of my strength and stability
Do you do many rest pause sets? Not much recently but yes when i train DC style
Do people at gym ask you many questions about your lifting? Sometimes my kids ask some questions hahaha, i only train at home
Do you have a set routine when you walk into the gym or do you play it by ear? I used too, but now i'm doing a lot of change every week, should have a plan to follow in the next months
Do you lift because you love to lift or cause you like the way it makes you look? I like to lift and keep a decent size, i also need to lift for my health.

A lot of our training and mental approach is the same. The powerlifting was fun for me as well... I was normally training for powerlifting meets. I did about 10 meets... they were fun
Yeah I agree on our mental approach to this is very similar. The many times I read your posts I can easily visualize the whole thing. Powerlifting is fun i did 5 meets attended at least 12 maybe more. I attended exhibitions a great deal with training buddies. I found a lot of friends and comradery in the powerlifting community. Now venturing slowly into to bodybuilding its a different culture. A work in progress.

I'll answer this but the Gyms have been closed for a while here so currently not training;

approx. age? 56
Which do you like working best upper or lower body? Back is my fav followed closely by legs
What's your favorite exercise? Rows of all sorts
Whats your worst exercise? It would have to be squats. I like doing them but its painffful to get under the bar due to shoulder mobility/flexibility issues. Just before the last shut down started I noticed the gym had a safety squat bar. I am looking forward to giving that a try.
How long do you lift approx each session? 60min
How many times a week? 5x
Do you lift fast with little rest between sets or slower with more rest? We train fast. We rest between sets just long enough for the other person to do their set and to adjust the bar/machine weight. So normally well under a minute between sets.
Do you do high reps or Low? moderate
Do you lift lighter weights for reps or moderately heavy to heavy weight? I lift lighter than I did when I was younger as I dont want an injury. At my age an injury could be the end of lifting
Do you do many of forced reps? some, did more when I was younger
Do you do many rest pause sets? no, though dabbled in them when I was younger
Do people at gym ask you many questions about your lifting? Some. I dont like talking to others during my workout. I will talk all they want after but not during.
Do you have a set routine when you walk into the gym or do you play it by ear? We have a plan when we enter the gym but are flexable if needed. I wont slow the pace of the routine down to wait for equipment that is being used so we will swap in other exercises if needed so we don't have to wait.
Have you ever competed? wanted too but haven't as of yet
Do you lift because you love to lift or cause you like the way it makes you look? both
Other?

Last edited:
approx. age? 52
Which do you like working best upper or lower body? upper body
What's your favorite exercise? shoulder press
Whats your worst exercise? Squat
How long do you lift approx each session? 1 hr 15min
How many times a week? 5
Do you lift fast with little rest between sets or slower with more rest? Slower, more rest.
Do you do high reps or Low? Both
Do you lift lighter weights for reps or moderately heavy to heavy weight? All three.
Do you do many rest pause sets? Yes
Do people at gym ask you many questions about your lifting? All the time, in and out of the gym.
Do you have a set routine when you walk into the gym or do you play it by ear? Both
Do you lift because you love to lift or cause you like the way it makes you look? Both
Other? I love perving the hotties in their tights and yoga pants.

approx. age? 40's
What's your favorite exercise? Shoulder Press
Whats your worst exercise? Deadlifts - don't do them anymore.
How long do you lift approx each session? 30 minutes warm up and post stretching - 1 hour weights.
How many times a week? 4-5 weights
Do you lift fast with little rest between sets or slower with more rest? change it all the time.
Do you do high reps or Low? More higher reps now to prevent injuries.
Do you lift lighter weights for reps or moderately heavy to heavy weight? Moderate
Do you do many rest pause sets? Sometimes
Do people at gym ask you many questions about your lifting? Yes
Do you have a set routine when you walk into the gym or do you play it by ear? Set routine but will change it on the fly depending how I feel.
Have you ever competed? Only strength competition - arm wrestling.
Do you lift because you love to lift or cause you like the way it makes you look? Won't lie - of course I like the way it makes me work but I train because I want strong joints, bones, ligaments into old age.
Other?

approx. age? 40

What's your favorite exercise? DB bench (its fun)

Whats your worst exercise? Deadlifts (bad back)

How long do you lift approx each session? 45 min to 1 hour or so. Sometimes longer if I'm feeling it.

How many times a week? 5

Do you lift fast with little rest between sets or slower with more rest? 30 sec to 1 min or so between sets. 2 to 3 min for squats.

Do you do high reps or Low? Both depending on the goal.

Do you lift lighter weights for reps or moderately heavy to heavy weight? Both. Favoring lighter these days due to past injuries.

Do you do many of forced reps? When possible.

Do you do many rest pause sets? Not really.

Do people at gym ask you many questions about your lifting? Nobody ever talks to me when I do go to a gym. Since Covid my little home gym is dialed in to what I need so doubt I'll ever go to a local gym again. When I travel I'll hit a gym.

Do you have a set routine when you walk into the gym or do you play it by ear? Set routine in mind as a general guideline but I always mix it up to surprise some part of my body

Do you lift because you love to lift or cause you like the way it makes you look? I lift for fun, physical activity, personal challenge, discipline, longevity and so on.

Other:
What time do you work out? Early AM by necessity.
Good to hear that a lot of people lift for the fun of it cause if it isn't enjoyable why do it.

approx. age? 52
Which do you like working best upper or lower body? upper body
What's your favorite exercise? shoulder press
Whats your worst exercise? Squat
How long do you lift approx each session? 1 hr 15min
How many times a week? 5
Do you lift fast with little rest between sets or slower with more rest? Slower, more rest.
Do you do high reps or Low? Both
Do you lift lighter weights for reps or moderately heavy to heavy weight? All three.
Do you do many rest pause sets? Yes
Do people at gym ask you many questions about your lifting? All the time, in and out of the gym.
Do you have a set routine when you walk into the gym or do you play it by ear? Both
Do you lift because you love to lift or cause you like the way it makes you look? Both
Other? I love perving the hotties in their tights and yoga pants.
the hotties definitely make the workouts a lot more intense.