Abs..

animal-inside

Trusted Member
Truth is, I did abs when I was like 16 or 17.. that's it aside from the odd ab work out once every 4 years lol...

I think my abs are muscular and strong from heavy lifting, but I am going to add regular ab workout since I can now see my abs again lol..

with getting all fancy, whats the best 3 ab exercises for building muscular size?

I plan on training abs like all over exercises--> progressivley add resistance to keep reps within range, NOT add reps.

I like

-Ab rollouts
-Cable crunches facing away from the pulley
-Hanging leg raises

Those 3 seem to hit my abs the best and allow for decent progression.

When I had my best abs, all I didwas sit on the couch watching tv and flexed like I was doing crunches, for I donot know 15 min during the commercials.

Used to piss my wife off. She did all the ab exercises.

Get on a decline bench and hold a dumbbell (or plate), arms straight up, above your face. Maintain that "arms straight up" position while doing a crunch. Pretty much the best thing I've found. If you're consistent you'll progress up in weight fairly quickly. I went from 20lb to 80lb dumbbells in 6 months. I like to aim for 15 reps per set. Once i can do 18-20, I increase weight.

Kneeling cable crunches too.

heavy squats and deadlifts. And the ab wheel. That is all I used and when I dropped in to the single digit body fat level my abs were sticking right out there.

Get on a decline bench and hold a dumbbell (or plate), arms straight up, above your face. Maintain that "arms straight up" position while doing a crunch. Pretty much the best thing I've found. If you're consistent you'll progress up in weight fairly quickly. I went from 20lb to 80lb dumbbells in 6 months. I like to aim for 15 reps per set. Once i can do 18-20, I increase weight.

I'll give the first one a try..

I have tried a few times to do kneeling cable crunches.. I can't get the right feel with the weight.

I do something similar but rest the dumbbell on upper chest, almost to my neck while doing crunches . That has seemed to work best for me. Also hanging leg raises.

I'll give the first one a try..

I have tried a few times to do kneeling cable crunches.. I can't get the right feel with the weight.
Took me a while to figure out the cable crunches too. I kneel about 2ft away from the cable machine base. I use the rope attachment at the highest setting. I hold the ropes so that my wrists/thumbs are just above my forehead. And CRUNCH. Hyperextending your whole body at the top of the movement really hits them!