About to go for first bloods

Rubicon

Trusted Member
Is “Testosterone total” and “thyroid stimulating hormone” enough for a pre cycle blood test?

I went to the doctor for a check up and told him I’d like to get my hormones tested because I’m having trouble sleeping. I’m having trouble sleeping but I really just want to see where my levels are at for pre cycle.

Are these two tests enough?

I have the form with these two boxes he checked off. Could I check more boxes off? Wondering if there is a computerized system that says he only checked those two boxes off. If not that then maybe he will remember from something he wrote in his notes and ask why I got 6 other things checked LOL.

Also I have already done a cycle and pct with no bloods. Last shot of test 5 months ago ish

This is just my personal list, but first bloods id do these my self for sure, well i mean ibalways do these, so this really should typically be done to make sure everything is in order.
Crp

Liver markers
Ast
Alt
Ggt

Kidney markers
Egfr
Cystatin c

Full iron panel
Iron
Ferritin
Trans ferritin
Uibc
Tibc

Full thyroid panel need all a must.
Ft4
Ft3
Tsh

Folate
B12
Vitamin d
Magnesium
Zinc
Aldosterone
Homocysteine
Calcium

Full hormones panel
Prolactin
Pregnenolone
Progesterone
Estrogen
Testosterone
Free test
Shbg
Dhea
Lh
Fsh

Full cbc blood panel

Cortisol am
Acth

Blood sugar panels.
HbA1c
•HOMA-IR
•C-Peptide
•Fasting Insulin
•Fasting glucose

Is “Testosterone total” and “thyroid stimulating hormone” enough for a pre cycle blood test?

I went to the doctor for a check up and told him I’d like to get my hormones tested because I’m having trouble sleeping. I’m having trouble sleeping but I really just want to see where my levels are at for pre cycle.

Are these two tests enough?

I have the form with these two boxes he checked off. Could I check more boxes off? Wondering if there is a computerized system that says he only checked those two boxes off. If not that then maybe he will remember from something he wrote in his notes and ask why I got 6 other things checked LOL.

Also I have already done a cycle and pct with no bloods. Last shot of test 5 months ago ish
If your doctor only checked off two tests and you check off another 20, I suspect he/she will ask if you did it but it depends on the doctor. Just like anyone else some have amazing memories and others don't.
No, there is no computer record of what the doctor is checking. If you recall discussing it with your doctor, they probably grabbed a form and ticked off a few boxes and handed it to you. At least that is how it is done in the provinces I am familiar with.

Unless you have a great relationship with the doctor and are prepared to discuss why you added a bunch of tests I wouldn't do it. It sounds like your doctor is open to testing what you want so I wouldn't jeopardize that. Work with it.

Make another appointment, have an idea what you want done at a minimum and ask the doctor what is essential to test and what isn't. Start a dialogue and let them know you want to be an active patient involved in your own health care. Have a chat - most doctors appreciate informed patients. Keep a record of all blood results, etc. The file they have in their office for you is not theirs, it is yours and you pay for it with your taxes.

The point I am trying to make is if you go from being a patient who never asks for specific tests to someone who walks in with a list of 40-50, you run the risk of the doctor thinking you are a hypochondriac or you are not telling them something. A discussion with the doc should start you on the right path and if there are items you want tested, you can ask their opinion. You don't have to agree hence the dialogue. That is how I would start unless you are paying for the doctor visit and paying out of pocket for all the labs.

keep in mind - I am not a doctor.

If your doctor only checked off two tests and you check off another 20, I suspect he/she will ask if you did it but it depends on the doctor. Just like anyone else some have amazing memories and others don't.
No, there is no computer record of what the doctor is checking. If you recall discussing it with your doctor, they probably grabbed a form and ticked off a few boxes and handed it to you. At least that is how it is done in the provinces I am familiar with.

Unless you have a great relationship with the doctor and are prepared to discuss why you added a bunch of tests I wouldn't do it. It sounds like your doctor is open to testing what you want so I wouldn't jeopardize that. Work with it.

Make another appointment, have an idea what you want done at a minimum and ask the doctor what is essential to test and what isn't. Start a dialogue and let them know you want to be an active patient involved in your own health care. Have a chat - most doctors appreciate informed patients. Keep a record of all blood results, etc. The file they have in their office for you is not theirs, it is yours and you pay for it with your taxes.

The point I am trying to make is if you go from being a patient who never asks for specific tests to someone who walks in with a list of 40-50, you run the risk of the doctor thinking you are a hypochondriac or you are not telling them something. A discussion with the doc should start you on the right path and if there are items you want tested, you can ask their opinion. You don't have to agree hence the dialogue. That is how I would start unless you are paying for the doctor visit and paying out of pocket for all the labs.

This is great advise. I myself have checked off a couple extra tests in the past but they're ones that my doc has checked before but omitted on that time.
You can't go checking off a ton of boxes because the doctor will absolutely notice and could catch shit for requesting those tests so you know damn well they will be pissed with you then, don't jeopardize that relationship. I know here in Alberta, AHS is cracking down on practitioners about testing and what tests are actually required.....they are in my health region anyways.
The practitioner has to follow what their governing body says or they risk being chastised or actual punishment for not following protocol set out.

My nurse at life labs told me if I check off boxes I could be charged. It's a legal document the doc has to sign off on. I asked her to check more boxes she said she only can if she runs it by the doc first. Just to keep in mind it could backfire on people.

My nurse at life labs told me if I check off boxes I could be charged. It's a legal document the doc has to sign off on. I asked her to check more boxes she said she only can if she runs it by the doc first. Just to keep in mind it could backfire on people.
It's essentially forging a document in the doctor's name. don't do it. But if you use a tele-health service you can ask for tests and tell them you don't mind paying - they can make them as "patient pay" - or they can just refuse.