A big FU you stihl chainsaws

animal-inside

Trusted Member
bought a new 390 stihl chainsaw a few years ago.. absolutely nothing but problems since day one...

Took it back several times to the dealer under warranty when the clutch blew up (thank god I bought the extended warranty)..

Dealer had some kid working on it.. I know the kid was about 18 years old. Anyways, picked it up when the clutch was replaced and ran it for a few loads of wood before seeing the kid didn't put the air filter back on..

fast forward to this year.. It was leaking bar oil really bad the other day so I bought a new rubber oil line which is usually the issue. On this saw you have to take the clutch off to replace this oil line.. So I took the clutch off to see that the dipshit kid who replaced the clutched didn't put the washer on correctly which protects the oil worm gear. So lots of wear on those peices. The washer itself was also heavily damaged when the clutch blew up and no longer laid flat, but the kid put it back in the saw when he did the clutch.. It's a 4$ washer that is quite important.. Can't beleive he didn't replace it.

Anyways, turns out the oil line wasn't leaking.. Took me about 30 mins to figure out the oil tank is splitting.. The saw is essentially to halves of plastic stuck together. Where they join is splitting.. I looked it up and a new casing is about 150$, but its hours of work to replace. Every single nut and bolt has to be taken off to swap them out.

This peice of shit hasn't run right or run without busting a part for more then 2 cords of wood.. Not bad for a 850$ saw right???

bought a new 390 stihl chainsaw a few years ago.. absolutely nothing but problems since day one...

Took it back several times to the dealer under warranty when the clutch blew up (thank god I bought the extended warranty)..

Dealer had some kid working on it.. I know the kid was about 18 years old. Anyways, picked it up when the clutch was replaced and ran it for a few loads of wood before seeing the kid didn't put the air filter back on..

fast forward to this year.. It was leaking bar oil really bad the other day so I bought a new rubber oil line which is usually the issue. On this saw you have to take the clutch off to replace this oil line.. So I took the clutch off to see that the dipshit kid who replaced the clutched didn't put the washer on correctly which protects the oil worm gear. So lots of wear on those peices. The washer itself was also heavily damaged when the clutch blew up and no longer laid flat, but the kid put it back in the saw when he did the clutch.. It's a 4$ washer that is quite important.. Can't beleive he didn't replace it.

Anyways, turns out the oil line wasn't leaking.. Took me about 30 mins to figure out the oil tank is splitting.. The saw is essentially to halves of plastic stuck together. Where they join is splitting.. I looked it up and a new casing is about 150$, but its hours of work to replace. Every single nut and bolt has to be taken off to swap them out.

This peice of shit hasn't run right or run without busting a part for more then 2 cords of wood.. Not bad for a 850$ saw right???

I’d take it back to the dealer and show them the poor workmanship on their repair. Ask them since they screwed it up would they be willing to make it right or take this one on trade for a new saw.

My limited experience is that best saws are husvarnas.

I’d take it back to the dealer and show them the poor workmanship on their repair. Ask them since they screwed it up would they be willing to make it right or take this one on trade for a new saw.

My limited experience is that best saws are husvarnas.

Dealer is useless... Stihl Canada is also useless.

When the clutch blew up, it destroyed a lot of the saw.. It was under warranty, but the dealer has to get the warranty approved by stihl canada via pictures.. Stihl canada said the clutch blew up because I ran it with the break on. Dealer told me I would have had to run it for hours and hours at full throttle with the break on to destroy the clutch.. Which I didn't.. and the dealer beleived me and so they warrantied the saw.. I had to fight and fight with the dealer to get it warrantied.. I doubt they will even give me a gas cap anymore. The dealer ate the cost of the clutch repair because stihl canada wouldn't. Like I said it was a huge fight and I doubt they will do anythign anymore.

The issue with the saw is that it vibrates too much. You can't feel it because the anti vibration stuff on the saw, but here are the issues caused by it
-chain flings off... It started doing this after I owned it for 6 months with light use. IT would fling off every 10 mins. Dealer said my bar had a burr on it and just run it and it will smooth out.
-I ran it and ran it, but the chain never stopped flinging off.. Went and bought a new bar and chain but that didn't help anything.
-I was about to take it back again when the clutch blew up (I'm sure from vibration).
-muffler vibrates off all the time. Lock tight on the bolts holds it on for awhile, but eventually it rattles itself loose. One time the muffler rattled off and melted the casing a bit.
-I'm positive the vibration is causing the case splitting as well.

Something is out of whack with it to do all this shit.. dealer and stihl canada are useless.

I had 2 huskies before this one. I should have bought another husky, but I didnt like their electronic carbs when I bough this saw.

Next time buy a husky 💪💪💪

I have a 65XP and it’s the tits! I haven’t had to do anything but regular maintenance.

I think thats a lighter duty saw no?

From what I learned, older husky/stihl are all heavy duty saws.

New husky/stihl are not heavy duty unless you buy a high end model (which I did)... I have a feeling those light homeowner saws wouldn't last long at all with me... A bigger saw also speeds up my wood process a lot.

We use these and the smaller ones at work haven’t had issues like that to my knowledge and they’ve been used extensively

My husky was a piece of shit from new. Cant keep the chain tension no matter what.
pretty sure it is damn near impossible to buy ANYTHING of quality anymore. Just sucker consumers with no real options but over pay for crap.

Fuck China and all the waste and bullshit they’ve been putting out there for years poisoning the planet and ripping us off ... straight up an it’s just getting worse and worse and worse..

Fuck China and all the waste and bullshit they’ve been putting out there for years poisoning the planet and ripping us off ... straight up an it’s just getting worse and worse and worse..

The worst part is slowly the prices have levelled out for Chinese junk..

When manufacturs started getting stuff made in china, the prices were CHEAP for the consumer for the lower quality stuff.. Slowly, those cheap prices for chinese junk have risen to regular north american made stuff and slowly the north american stuff disappeared so we have no choice..

To buy made in Can/USA you will pay out your ass!!!!

Sadly, the chainsaw in question isn't a chinese made piece of junk.. I paid the money to get the made in germany/ USA saw.

My husky was a piece of shit from new. Cant keep the chain tension no matter what.
pretty sure it is damn near impossible to buy ANYTHING of quality anymore. Just sucker consumers with no real options but over pay for crap.

Got to be somethign wrong with it... one nut or two for the tensioner?

All the old boys at my hunt camp swear by Husqvarna, and been cutting wood all their lives.

I bought the 550XP a few years ago and absolutely love it

Gotta say Stihl is the best. Ran husky for a year, always froze up in the winter and to be honest horse power sucked ass.
I used to run Stihl 460 and 660.The only problem I had with he Stihls was the filter plugged up fast, just had to be on top of it. Used the 460 for interior falling and the 660 for coastal falling. Been out of forestry for a long time now. Just my opinion boys.

Last edited:
I think thats a lighter duty saw no?

From what I learned, older husky/stihl are all heavy duty saws.

New husky/stihl are not heavy duty unless you buy a high end model (which I did)... I have a feeling those light homeowner saws wouldn't last long at all with me... A bigger saw also speeds up my wood process a lot.

Its not new, I’ve had it for years. It’s a loggers saw......not a big big girl like faller would of probably used back in the day.....but it’s not a light duty saw by any means.

I agree 100%.. my last whipper snipper was a stihl and never worked right from day 1. I eventually wrapped it around a tree

The ol Husky Rancher 455 is what i would suggest. Or the 460. I personally run a 610 beaver from the 70s (McCulloch) 36 lbs with a full tank and 20 inch bar, builds the arms and back quick, and smokes just enough to keep the skeeters n black flies away. I try to stay away from the newer stuff!

I'm trying to find a older heavy saw used right now.. It's really tough to determine if they are junk/worn out or not from the ad. Unfortnuately due to my location I can't just zip over and check them out

I'm trying to find a older heavy saw used right now.. It's really tough to determine if they are junk/worn out or not from the ad. Unfortnuately due to my location I can't just zip over and check them out
I have a 460 and a 660 Stihl. Heated carb and handlebars, full wrap, 28-36 inch bars. Saws are in great. Full and skip tooth chains. I have no use for them anymore, live in the city. Pm me for more info.

My favorite stone saws were the old ts400 from Stihl but as they shit the bed I liked the husky’s this is going back over 10 years ago now though so can’t speak to the new ones