26 lbs so far

granpa1959

Never say never!
Trusted Member
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to throw a quick update on my progress. I am doing my best to get below 10% body fat.

I have excellent support and am well on my way. Thanks to all of you!

I started weight loss in April. I weighed 171 lbs. I am unclear what my BMI actually was but higher than I thought for sure!
I am now weighing in at 146lbs. I can see upper abs and obliques. A lot of vascularity on my arms, delts, core and legs. My calves and biceps are popping for an old guy.With the fat loss my chest and quads both shrunk and then have begun to grow again adding an inch back on each.

At the very start I was running test prop 50mg eod.
10.5 weeks ago I began a cycle of 50 test prop/100 Masteron Prop/150 Eq eod, 60mg anavar daily.
I was training in the morning running 5 k and then barbells right after. Training all at home.

6 weeks ago when the gym opened I split the routine to 1 hr cardio am and barbells pm 5 day a week.
At 8 weeks I dropped the anavar
10 weeks in to the cycle I dropped the Eq added 50 mg Tren ace, bumped Test to 100 added Clen 25 mcg 2 x daily.
At 4 weeks I added peptides: CJC-1295 with DAC 2mg weekly. Ipamorelin 200mcg 2 x daily.

I weigh my self daily.
I dont cheat unless I discuss it with my mentor first.
I send him photos weekly.

My meal plan is pretty basic:
1) 2 scoops protein, in water prior to my cardio workout.
2) I cup raw Oatmeal a banana and 1 cup egg whites after my workout for breakfast.
3) 1.5 scoops of protein 100 grams blue berries and water.
4) 200 grams tuna 1 cup of rice 100 grams spinach.
5) 1.5 scoops of protein 100 grams blue berries and water.
6) 170 grams tofu, 1 cup rice, 100 rams spinach.

4 weeks ago I reduced the rice and oatmeal by 1/2 and the tofu from 170 to 120 grams.
This week I swapped the fish to supper time. I am using cod, haddock and Halibut.
I drink 6 litres of water a day.

It will not be over until I get there.

Grandpa

Great progress. 26 lbs is quite a bit if your 61 based on your user name cause your metabolic rate slows quite significantly. I was born in 59. I hope I make as good a progress as you are making. I like the simplicity in your diet... very easy to prepare as well. I love blueberry protein shakes how ever I need a bit of yogurt in there and 1% milk. Keep it up and I hope you meet your goal, How are you measuring body fat? Are you using the caliper approach taking samples in various area? 5k (daily?) that is impressive and then training on weights. How are you feeling with the weight drop? Do you have more energy? Is your recovery faster?

Great progress. 26 lbs is quite a bit if your 61 based on your user name cause your metabolic rate slows quite significantly. I was born in 59. I hope I make as good a progress as you are making. I like the simplicity in your diet... very easy to prepare as well. I love blueberry protein shakes how ever I need a bit of yogurt in there and 1% milk. Keep it up and I hope you meet your goal, How are you measuring body fat? Are you using the caliper approach taking samples in various area? 5k (daily?) that is impressive and then training on weights. How are you feeling with the weight drop? Do you have more energy? Is your recovery faster?
Hey pg! Yes I am 61. I am measuring with some plastic calipers and a tape measure at 5 locations. I have actually not measured yet. I still have a roll of jelly hanging off my tummy below the belly button. I ain't much but its there!

I was running 5k when I ran outside before the gym opened. Thanks it was tough in the wet weather! I have always run and really like the peace and fluid movement.

Since the gym opened I use the StairMaster 30 minutes, treadmill 20 and upright bike 10 for cool down.
I do 5 min intervals for an hour.

The weight drop is unbelievable I haven't been this lean since before my accident.

Yes way more energy most certainly. I have always done yoga so am pretty flexible but now I I can run, climb, twist bend and move very easily.

Yes I recover pretty darn quick actually. Its surprising.

I switched from 4-5 sets of 12 reps with 10 seconds rest to 3x30 2 weeks ago. Reps are always slow, controlled and really focused on the negative.

I owe all the knowledge, info and simplicity to very highly trusted mentor and Dracorex!

Lol!!

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to throw a quick update on my progress. I am doing my best to get below 10% body fat.

I have excellent support and am well on my way. Thanks to all of you!

I started weight loss in April. I weighed 171 lbs. I am unclear what my BMI actually was but higher than I thought for sure!
I am now weighing in at 146lbs. I can see upper abs and obliques. A lot of vascularity on my arms, delts, core and legs. My calves and biceps are popping for an old guy.With the fat loss my chest and quads both shrunk and then have begun to grow again adding an inch back on each.

At the very start I was running test prop 50mg eod.
10.5 weeks ago I began a cycle of 50 test prop/100 Masteron Prop/150 Eq eod, 60mg anavar daily.
I was training in the morning running 5 k and then barbells right after. Training all at home.

6 weeks ago when the gym opened I split the routine to 1 hr cardio am and barbells pm 5 day a week.
At 8 weeks I dropped the anavar
10 weeks in to the cycle I dropped the Eq added 50 mg Tren ace, bumped Test to 100 added Clen 25 mcg 2 x daily.
At 4 weeks I added peptides: CJC-1295 with DAC 2mg weekly. Ipamorelin 200mcg 2 x daily.

I weigh my self daily.
I dont cheat unless I discuss it with my mentor first.
I send him photos weekly.

My meal plan is pretty basic:
1) 2 scoops protein, in water prior to my cardio workout.
2) I cup raw Oatmeal a banana and 1 cup egg whites after my workout for breakfast.
3) 1.5 scoops of protein 100 grams blue berries and water.
4) 200 grams tuna 1 cup of rice 100 grams spinach.
5) 1.5 scoops of protein 100 grams blue berries and water.
6) 170 grams tofu, 1 cup rice, 100 rams spinach.

4 weeks ago I reduced the rice and oatmeal by 1/2 and the tofu from 170 to 120 grams.
This week I swapped the fish to supper time. I am using cod, haddock and Halibut.
I drink 6 litres of water a day.

It will not be over until I get there.

Grandpa
Hey check out Costco for fish...

They always have good quality cod and sometimes halibut too. Also have Atlantic sole frozen in big 2kg bags for a great price.

Hey pg! Yes I am 61. I am measuring with some plastic calipers and a tape measure at 5 locations. I have actually not measured yet. I still have a roll of jelly hanging off my tummy below the belly button. I ain't much but its there!

I was running 5k when I ran outside before the gym opened. Thanks it was tough in the wet weather! I have always run and really like the peace and fluid movement.

Since the gym opened I use the StairMaster 30 minutes, treadmill 20 and upright bike 10 for cool down.
I do 5 min intervals for an hour.

The weight drop is unbelievable I haven't been this lean since before my accident.

Yes way more energy most certainly. I have always done yoga so am pretty flexible but now I I can run, climb, twist bend and move very easily.

Yes I recover pretty darn quick actually. Its surprising.

I switched from 4-5 sets of 12 reps with 10 seconds rest to 3x30 2 weeks ago. Reps are always slow, controlled and really focused on the negative.

I owe all the knowledge, info and simplicity to very highly trusted mentor and Dracorex!

Lol!!
Great to hear. Once you start feeling real good, like you are, it is a lot easier to stay motivated. Keep us updated on your progress. Where do you think you have to get to in terms of weight , to be at or under 10% body fat?

Great to hear. Once you start feeling real good, like you are, it is a lot easier to stay motivated. Keep us updated on your progress. Where do you think you have to get to in terms of weight , to be at or under 10% body fat?
Yeah, it certainly has gotten easier to stay motivated. My son has become my no 1 training partner since the gym closed. He is a total newb! All 6'3.5" 245 lbs of him!! Its a hoot watching him struggle! I grind the poor bugger pretty badly. He is a grreeat sport and thank god I can still out run the big guy!!

Like you, I Power Lifted for decades, competed at it on and off. I did ok in Ontario and upstate New York a few times.

I actually have been urged by a lot of folks to compete. My local support group is nuts! Even the gym wants me to.

I'm partially disabled and have a few quirks. I don't feel ready yet. I'm damn well gonna give it my best. I appreciated your post "why compete"

Truth I'll probably die with a barbell in my hand...or my float rod. Smoking a Cuban of course!

My weight! LOL!!

I figure I'll be 135-140 lbs when its I'm at 8%!!

I will keep you all posted.

This is my first log of events.

I really needed to get a better grasp of posting correctly. I have made several blunders on posts to date.

Fortunately admin are on their toes and lots of you reach out to straighten my shit out quick!

I love this shit!

Grandpa

I know how you feel... I love the lifting and I like to go heavy however I pay for it now ... my elbows and shoulders get unbearably sore if I go to heavy on the deads now, so I stay within the aloted heaviness I set for my self and I know I won't be in pain for 3 days. I always liked to test myself by competing and the competition date always gave me a target to wrap my training program around, and the powerlifting group/competitors were always so helpful and supportive ( unlike the bodybuilding competitors I hate to say, well not in my neck of the woods). It's great that you can involve your son in your training session ... what better way to bond and have a good time.

forgive me if it hasn't been discussed as I skimmed the thread.

I'd be hesitant to run 5k while dieting... It's likely that you will become catabolic, high cortisol and stunt your progress. Especially for your age.. Might not happen yet, but if you keep the 5k runs I would be very dilligent watching for over training and slowed progress. Taking your waking temperature would help give you a good idea as well.

I think a good brisk walk would be much more productive than a 5k run. IF your hell bent on doing more intense cardio, sled pulling is much better than 5k run for fat lose/retain muscle etc...

congrats first as that is impressive at any age. Are you getting blood work done, checking your BP daily? I'm asking as you are between 900-1200 mg of injectable AAS and an oral (unless my math is wrong) and you are no spring chicken. I am older too but you have many years on me and I wouldn't consider running a cycle that high unless I was planning to compete which I never will.
Each to their own and you should be proud of the hard work but I hope you are under the care of a doctor that knows what you are doing. If you are being helped by a coach with experience that is an excellent start but a doctor, at your age, is a must.
Best of luck.
GR

congrats first as that is impressive at any age. Are you getting blood work done, checking your BP daily? I'm asking as you are between 900-1200 mg of injectable AAS and an oral (unless my math is wrong) and you are no spring chicken. I am older too but you have many years on me and I wouldn't consider running a cycle that high unless I was planning to compete which I never will.
Each to their own and you should be proud of the hard work but I hope you are under the care of a doctor that knows what you are doing. If you are being helped by a coach with experience that is an excellent start but a doctor, at your age, is a must.
Best of luck.
GR
Hey thanks so much for the concern! Yes I monitor my BP 3 x a week with one of my staff nurses. Absolutely yes my doctor is totally informed and we keep a close eye on my BW. My doctor gives me 1 hour a week during this whole thing. She is well informed. Slightly older than i am (kinda sexy) and non-judgmental.

Yes i am running heavy cycles. I have never used gear before and I am responding very well. I can tolerate it quite well. I have no sleep disruption. I'm not temperamental at all and feel really good.

Hanging out with her is a highlight of my week. This current training cycle is kinda all encompassing.

Grandpa

I know how you feel... I love the lifting and I like to go heavy however I pay for it now ... my elbows and shoulders get unbearably sore if I go to heavy on the deads now, so I stay within the aloted heaviness I set for my self and I know I won't be in pain for 3 days. I always liked to test myself by competing and the competition date always gave me a target to wrap my training program around, and the powerlifting group/competitors were always so helpful and supportive ( unlike the bodybuilding competitors I hate to say, well not in my neck of the woods). It's great that you can involve your son in your training session ... what better way to bond and have a good time.
God no shit! I squatted 405 for a triple and then dead lifted 365 last day before the gyms closed "just cause". My feet hurt and shoulders, especially the shoulder missing pieces for days. I was packed in ice regretting it. Now it go into the light!!

Yes what is that with some bodybuilders? When I mention I plan to compete they shut right down on me? The only supportive ones at the gym are women.

OMG!! Junior and I have a great friendship anyway but this has really upped it! He is pretty funny. He has never been the athletic fitness addict i am. This has really sparked a fire in this kid! (he's 38)
He has funnyman doing meal plans and has asked me to push him to the limit.

Awesome!!

Grandpa

God no shit! I squatted 405 for a triple and then dead lifted 365 last day before the gyms closed "just cause". My feet hurt and shoulders, especially the shoulder missing pieces for days. I was packed in ice regretting it. Now it go into the light!!

Yes what is that with some bodybuilders? When I mention I plan to compete they shut right down on me? The only supportive ones at the gym are women.

OMG!! Junior and I have a great friendship anyway but this has really upped it! He is pretty funny. He has never been the athletic fitness addict i am. This has really sparked a fire in this kid! (he's 38)
He has funnyman doing meal plans and has asked me to push him to the limit.

Awesome!!

Grandpa
I tried to get my son into it but he did not take that big of an interest. I think he would now ... now that we are doing more things together. 405 for a triple .... that's good weight so is 365 for a dead. I can only do squats now with an olympic cambered bar or a safety squats bar due to my left shoulder not being able to get back on a straight bar ( lot of scar tissue on left pec, bicep, front delt due stupid drunken accident when I was young lol). I go a little heavier on the deads some days ... in the 400lbs to 500lb area if everything feels well. My maxes was never super high on the 3 lifts however I enjoyed getting to where I got. When I competed I was always competing against my best max for that lift cause their are so many others that could lift so much heavier than me ... which was great honestly ... I got to see some really amazing lifts at some tournaments and met a lot of down to earth people ( powerlifters that I met at meets were always willing to share ideas and willing to help you out with things, great bunch of ppl).

I am not sure what it is with bodybuilders that compete (I have to say not all of them) ... at the Atlantic Championships in 2012 I competed in the Grand Master as I was 52 and the open class just cause my coach and training partner, BigDaddyDrew (known by some of the old timers on this board) thought I was ripped enough to probably place well against some larger but more smoother guys. There were only 4 guys in Grand masters ... did well in that category and came first ... went into the open ... there were 12 guys and it came down to me and a lot bigger guy from PEI ... shit I forget his name. He edged me out and I came second ... I was fine with that .. however I won the most muscular award which got me a whole lot of protein powder and other goodies (was better than any trophy :). But to get to the point ...The first place guy and the third place guy I remember were staring me down before our last call out and would not even talk when we passed each other .. I said Hi to them anyway cause I was just competing for the fun of it ( not like I was making any money at it ... just getting a trophy ). They were good after the competition was over by while competing all so serious.

Ice is your friend when it comes to lifting heavy. I use Deep Relief Ice Cold Spray if I am really sore and it stops the soreness and aching immediately on contact. it is great stuff. I use to use cold spray a lot In between rounds when I competed in Taekwondo ... cause when you hit an elbow really hard with the top of your foot ... you needed instant relief to be able to effectively continue.

forgive me if it hasn't been discussed as I skimmed the thread.

I'd be hesitant to run 5k while dieting... It's likely that you will become catabolic, high cortisol and stunt your progress. Especially for your age.. Might not happen yet, but if you keep the 5k runs I would be very dilligent watching for over training and slowed progress. Taking your waking temperature would help give you a good idea as well.

I think a good brisk walk would be much more productive than a 5k run. IF your hell bent on doing more intense cardio, sled pulling is much better than 5k run for fat lose/retain muscle etc...
Yeah you are absolutely right. Well, I sure do take my temperature a lot! I run a healthcare facility. We are taking temps every time you walk in the door! lol! I have found I needed to dial back cardio intensity to prevent burnout and over training. it is a fine line for anyone to walk. Prone to over-exuberance I might have hit the wall! Maybe more than once!

When I say take your temperature to monitor over training, it can only be based off your waking body temp. So literaylly the second you open your eyes in the monring, take your temp before even getting out of bed. It should be within range.. if its lower, your probably over training and brinigng your thyroid levels down. Take it every week.. if you see a downward trend, your probably over training.